Reassignment of title for trailer

Hi all,

I recently purchased a pontoon from a gentleman who lived at the lake we bought property at. He previously purchased it from another homeowner at the lake in 2020. I'm not concerned about watercraft registration as I am with the title of the trailer. The person I purchased from never had it titled/registered. This makes sense to a point as the boat/trailer never left, nor intended to leave the lake as it's a private lake. Nonetheless, I would like to sell the trailer, as I will have a service transport the boat to and from storage being that it will continue to stay at the lake.

My question is, how do I go about retrieving a title in my name? I have the bill of sale (which is also notarized), and the existing title to which the previous sale was initiated in 2020, but that's it. Just wanted to know what I might be getting myself into before I go into the DMV tomorrow. Anyone with experience or knowledge here, please feel free to chime in. Thanks in advance.

2. Illinois Club | PC/Mac Tips & Tweaks Moderator sgt93's Avatar
    Call the DMV before leaving and they will let you know exactly what you need. Also don’t forget that most DMV’s are closed on Monday.
    2017 Bass Cat Phelix Honda 25 SOLD
    2007 BCB Cougar FTD Merc Opti 225 SOLD

Instagram: @SSgt93.
    I don't subscribe to threads. PM if you need me.

3. Member
    Good call with the closed on Mondays. You were right! I'll try to get out there this week, but I think my best bet is just to claim a lost title and pay for a new title.

i can't remember exactly HOW I did it, but it definitely CAN be done. I had a very similar situation with a boat that was a few years old and a trailer that had never been issued an original title. Believe it or not, I have found that the Illinois Secretary of State website is actually a really good source of information in regards to exactly what they require for these types of transactions.

5. Member
    Easy enough. I bought a trailer from Oklahoma where they didnt register trailers. The DMV took my hand written Bill of Sale and issued me a title. It did take about 6 months to get but that was in 2020.

6. Member
    Wisconsin will issue a title. You don’t need to purchase license plates,either. Call them at 608-264-7447. Good luck.