Chart Select No Longer Visible

Going crazy. Chart Select maps on SD card. All was fine last time out. In the garage tonight checking maps before next week's trip and unit isn't recognizing the SD card. I put SD in computer and can see the Chart Select map folders. I tried changing card slots with no luck. GPS signal is good. All internal waypoints are there. Just can't view maps. Any ideas?

Also, The unit can see the card as the option to encrypt is available, and works.
    Last edited by FishingKY; 09-24-2022 at 08:28 PM. Reason: added info

2. Member
    Do you have more than one unit to try the chips in? Do you have more than one chart select chip? Have you tried them both? Maybe the chip has some kind of substance on one of the contacts. Alcohol on a q tip might clean it off. Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

3. Member
    bobcoy, thanks for the response.

I also have a Helix 9 but the chip is encrypted to its specific unit, the Helix 10.

I was hesitant to clean the contacts on the chip since it was readable in the laptop.

I was able to get it working but part of my troubleshooting process was to reset my settings. After doing that and power cycling the unit I was able to once again see the maps on the SD card.

This reminds me of a computer running Microsoft, once you start getting issues clear up some memory, delete unneeded files, and restart. No one knows why that works, it just does.

Quote Originally Posted by FishingKY View Post
    bobcoy, thanks for the response.

I also have a Helix 9 but the chip is encrypted to its specific unit, the Helix 10.

I was hesitant to clean the contacts on the chip since it was readable in the laptop.

I was able to get it working but part of my troubleshooting process was to reset my settings. After doing that and power cycling the unit I was able to once again see the maps on the SD card.

This reminds me of a computer running Microsoft, once you start getting issues clear up some memory, delete unneeded files, and restart. No one knows why that works, it just does.

No such thing as "the chip is encrypted to its specific unit, the Helix 10".
    The Encrypt folder is written by the unit, not to the unit.
    The Encrypt folder has the software to allow loading a Chart Select purchased map to it.
    The unit is irrelevant, ANY unit can write a Encrypt folder to a memory card, the downloaded map can be read by any unit that will read Lakemaster mapping.
    Last edited by Wayne P.; 09-25-2022 at 05:47 PM.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

5. Member
    That's good info. When I tried to load the same SD card to the 9 unit it wouldn't read on the 9 either. Is that because the chip was encrypted using the 10 and then the maps loaded to that SD card unit using the Chart Select app (I selected the unit I was loading to in the drop down)? If that is correct, then what would stop me from using a 9 encrypted SD card and downloading a purchased map to 2 units SD cards?
    Last edited by FishingKY; 09-25-2022 at 09:19 PM. Reason: spelling

The Chart Select purchase gives you two downloads:
    1. To an encrypted memory card
    2. To the FishSmart app.

If you want another download of the same location, you have to purchase it again.

Encrypt is NOT to a unit, it is done WITH a unit. It is done to a memory card. That card with its downloaded map/s can be read by any unit any time.

You select a unit for your purchase so you do not make a mistake purchasing layers that the unit cannot process. All units can read the contour map, some cannot read satellite overlay or SmartStrike.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL