Drotto or Ramp n clamp

Hi
    Looking to put an auto boat latch on my trailer for my 519 and looking for opinions on these 2 from those using them on their Ranger trailers
    TIA

2. Member
    I just put a Ramp N Clamp on my 2017 Ranger Z521 and love it.
    I feel like I can get my trailer slightly deeper in the water to not have to powerload so drastically, because it no longer slides back off the roller thingy.

I'm also looking for an auto boat latch, leaning towards Drotto, my only concern is any damage to the gelcoat / fiberglass...hopefully to hear feedback from others.
    Retired 2022...Ranger 2011 Z520, OptiMax 250 1B822149, 8" Bob's Jack-plate, Helix 12si / Helix12di, Duel 12' Talon's, Ultrex 112 i-Pilot Link, Mega 360 and Bravo XS 25.
    At ~400 hours had injectors clean and calibrated by INTEGRITY Injection (by
    European Marine)

4. Member
    I've been running a Drotto for two+ seasons, it's been near perfect for the 150-200 launches/recoveries. I did dive the nose under on a low water/steep ramp one time and damaged the fiberglass.

1990 Ranger 362V Yamaha Pro-V 150
    Old Town Predator MinnKota

I had a Boat Buddy years ago on 2 different boats and now they are no longer in business. I now have and love the Ramp N Clamp. It hooks up easily and doesn't leave any marks on the boat. I also installed a Bow Guard to help protect it. The guy before me banged it up pretty bad. Well worth the $$ !!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

6. Member
    Love the Drotto.
    2018 Z520L 50th Anniversary - 250 Pro XS 2-Stroke SN - 2B527745 / Reman Powerhead Built 8/2021 SN - QSCS00380OS0

Was looking at the Drotto (for a Skeeter, not a Ranger). Saw one review on a Nitro where the guy stated it tore up his fiberglass from the constant rubbing... but that's really the only complaint I've run across. So not sure if it was a installation issue, or operator error, etc. Since I have slick bunks, would be nice to have to ensure I'm locked in for buddy/tournament loading/unloading, as well as for solo launching. I've also read where folks had to make trailer adjustments, ie moving the winch stand, or adjusting bunk height...

I was looking at the Drotto b/c I thought the knock on the Ramp n Clamp was that you had to load into it so hard to latch people were breaking winch stands/welds after using them for a spell...

Here's the review I was referring to...
    I have a nitro 21' and used this for a season.. it chewed the crap out of the fiberglass. loved how it worked but no on any bassboat ...... It was awesome on windy landings but geeezzz the cost to fix the glass around the latch isn't worth it. for Aluminum hulls.. go for it, worth it. NOT FOR Bassboats. you can't get a "perfect" install but mine was close. just that rubbing up and down during launches, which means you run up the teflon.. ate the sheat out of the glass. hope this helps. no returns after 90 days.. lol

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 78Staff View Post
    Was looking at the Drotto (for a Skeeter, not a Ranger). Saw one review on a Nitro where the guy stated it tore up his fiberglass from the constant rubbing... but that's really the only complaint I've run across. So not sure if it was a installation issue, or operator error, etc. Since I have slick bunks, would be nice to have to ensure I'm locked in for buddy/tournament loading/unloading, as well as for solo launching. I've also read where folks had to make trailer adjustments, ie moving the winch stand, or adjusting bunk height...

I was looking at the Drotto b/c I thought the knock on the Ramp n Clamp was that you had to load into it so hard to latch people were breaking winch stands/welds after using them for a spell...

Here's the review I was referring to...
    First I’ve heard of that happening and I have a lot of friends using the Drotto on their Ranger walleye boats. Maybe that’s the difference the front off the hull being much taller.

[QUOTE=78Staff;12686753

I've never had a problem in loading where I had to "Ram" into it to latch. I power load and I've always just softly hit it and it locked. You may have to use the extended bow eye as I did, but no other adjustments were needed. I learned from using the Boat Buddy, that after you pull out of the water, release the lock and tighten the wench strap to pull the bow eye into position. That way the lock isn't rubbing on the bow eye as you trailer. And then it's ready to launch when you get to the ramp again. But I've never had any damage done to the fiberglass. I did add the Bow Guard tho, but that was done to "Hide" the damage done by the previous owner.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

10. Member
    Just keep in mind, if you powerload with a drotto and come in hard, you will bend the latch plates. You wont know you did until you try to unload it and the latch wont release.

Quote Originally Posted by peter13 View Post
    Just keep in mind, if you powerload with a drotto and come in hard, you will bend the latch plates. You wont know you did until you try to unload it and the latch wont release.
    Nice to know, thanks
    Retired 2022...Ranger 2011 Z520, OptiMax 250 1B822149, 8" Bob's Jack-plate, Helix 12si / Helix12di, Duel 12' Talon's, Ultrex 112 i-Pilot Link, Mega 360 and Bravo XS 25.
    At ~400 hours had injectors clean and calibrated by INTEGRITY Injection (by
    European Marine)

Does this apply to the Ramp and Clamp also?

13. Member
    I've blasted mine pretty good for two seasons on the steep ramps here, no issues yet (might be the lighter boat?). I had another product (maybe a Ramp 'N Clamp?) on my prior boat that I beat to death on the very same ramps.

1990 Ranger 362V Yamaha Pro-V 150
    Old Town Predator MinnKota