So, what should I check NEXT ??

2002 Optimax # OT468900

I've been having a slow to rev up on take off, then would "catch" and come up on RPM's and would plane out. I was running a 25* Trophy Plus with 2 holes open and 2 holes plugged full. I could only get 5100-5200 WOT and 52mph. I tried a 23* Trophy Plus with 4 medium plugs. It had instant response, but would top out at 5100-5200 and 50mph!!
    Then went to a 24* Trophy Plus with 4 medium plugs and had instant response, but still would top out at 5100-5200 rpm's and 51-52 mph. I've tried running the 25* with open PVS and it would blow out. I've installed new plugs, had the idler checked and compression checked (100 on all cylinders). Seems like I can't get past 5200 RPM's !! What should I look at next.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

2. Member
    Bore scope for turned sleeves
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

3. Member
    all sensors and switches spark on all 6 and or cyl drop test on water at lake to isolate problem cyl-s verify linkage set up ,engine height , unload boat to achieve max performance after resolve then load it and prop for 5800
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    all sensors and switches spark on all 6 and or cyl drop test on water at lake to isolate problem cyl-s verify linkage set up ,engine height , unload boat to achieve max performance after resolve then load it and prop for 5800
    ^^^^ Good advice.

What boat is this, BTW?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    ^^^^ Good advice.

What boat is this, BTW?
    2002 Ranger 205 DVX
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms

Fuel/air pressures test on the water and available voltage test on all six, Ohm test wires and wet test for leaks
    Thank You Leon Pugh

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Another item to check is to make certain you are actually REACHING 100% (WOT) position. See FAQ Section: Hotfoot Setup

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Another item to check is to make certain you are actually REACHING 100% (WOT) position. See FAQ Section: Hotfoot Setup
    No hot foot, only hand throttle. Mechanic says it's set right. ???
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Check it using the same methods at the engine end, just to confirm the throttle plate is opening fully.

Check it using the same methods at the engine end, just to confirm the throttle plate is opening fully.
    Thanks, will do !!
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms