What’s wrong with parents and coaches?

My son plays 5/6 grade rocket football. After his game today he was talking to one of his friends who plays on another 5/6 grade team. His friend was telling him the coaches and parents from the opposing team were telling my son’s friends coaches and some of the parents to meet them in the parking lot after the game to fight. The opposing coaches were threatening our coaches. The opposing players were playing super dirty stomping on kids who were down and throwing the football at kids heads.

The four years my son has played we’ve never had a bad experience one bit. Last week one opposing coach saw my son in the parking lot while we were loading up and told my son he did an amazing job, and the opposing head coach pulled my son to the side at the end of the game today and told him he really enjoyed watching him play today.

I guess there’s class and there’s trash. I sure am glad we’ve always had great experiences. I just feel bad for the kids on both teams today for the horrible experience. We play the same school in two weeks but thankfully a different team.

2. Member
    Parents have ruined kids sports.

3. Member
    That's terrible. I would report to the appropriate organization's leaders of what transpired to get it on record at least if not coaches fired and parents barred from attending. No excuse for that nonsense.

No wonder no one wants to ref....two worst I have seen is Hockey and wrestling....I quit refing wrestling.....parents are brutal.
    Opposing coach in my kids Hockey game, picked his kid up and threw him agaist the wall......yes it was reported, and he was banned from all hockey events...should have go to jail

5. Member
    When my now-grown son was about that age, I told him that you can learn more about what not to do by bad examples than you can learn about what to do by good examples. The reason being that bad examples are much more obvious.

Your son had the experience of both close together.

6. Member
    Caught a coach telling one of his players to take my daughter out. This was 13 to 14 year old girls basketball. The player he was talking to looked shocked. Less shocked than he did when I addressed it on the side lines. He had a different take on what he was tell his played. I called him out on the spot. The assistant stepped in to coach their team while he stepped away. Nothing amazes me with coaches. My kids and grandkids have had some great coaches. Unfortunately they both have played against some dirty coaches.

99 percent of the parents are great , but the others are pitiful and stupid . This week in a high school softball game at grand daughters school after the game a grandmother of the other teams pitcher comes onto field and cusses out their coach because it was the coaches fault her grand kid can't pitch at that level . The girl was removed or quit the team the next day . It's just an extension of society , some blame others for their failures some don't .

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BassinPaPaw View Post
    100%

9. Member
    Parents and $$$ have ruined kids sports.

I totally support refs, huge shortage in hockey because of the abuse they get from parents and coaches. The rinks my kids play at are pretty good about calling out those bad parents, even parents of the same team will band together to shutdown the AZZhats. I've seen refs toss parents out as well, they have that authority, one stopped a game and said until the guy left it would not resume and asked the rink to call the authorities. He left in cuffs!

As a coach I taught my players a great way to shut down that obnoxious parent, after they score a goal all the kids on the ice go over right in front of that person to celebrate, don't look at them, don't say anything, form a circle and do your high fives and fist bumps, do a "go Bundy (insert team name)" then move along. Most of parents get the hint pretty quickly, the refs appreciate it as well.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dixie-Raven View Post
    That's terrible. I would report to the appropriate organization's leaders of what transpired to get it on record at least if not coaches fired and parents barred from attending. No excuse for that nonsense.
    Our organization is going to report it to the appropriate people who are in charge of the rocket league we’re in.

11. Member
    It is ridiculous how folks think about kids sports. Just watch them play and be there for your kid.

12. Member
    unfortunatly some folks want to live their life through their kids it is generally a train wreck if you cant act right dont go.

Quote Originally Posted by BassinPaPaw View Post
    Yep.
    Ranting incoherently

Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    It is ridiculous how folks think about kids sports. Just watch them play and be there for your kid.
    I'm all for providing them with a clean safe field and just let them play and figure it out on their own with zero adult influence. Fat chance that'll ever happen though.
    Ranting incoherently

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LTZ25 View Post
    99 percent of the parents are great
    I think your number is a bit too high sadly It is the parents though, and society. No structure, no rules, no discipline, and no punishments. Fundamental things most of us were taught by our parents no longer are. I could go on and on of course.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bilgerat View Post
    I'm all for providing them with a clean safe field and just let them play and figure it out on their own with zero adult influence. Fat chance that'll ever happen though.
    Theres a fine line. Our coach last year, he’s ex military, and he pushed the boys (5/6 grade) and they were the wininest team in our school district. He pushed the boys but had fun as well! He’s followed his son to 7th grade and they’re undefeated so far this year. My wife didn’t like the loudness and jabbering (if you will) but I told her that makes a good coach. My son’s coach this year is a great coach (don’t get me wrong) but he’s a quiet coach and he makes changes at practice not on the fly. The kids all have fun but there’re getting burned out by getting their assess kicked each week! So where do you draw the line? I’m old school, but on the same token I lost interest because I had a coach in 5th grade who sucked the fun out of football by running things the way he did 30 years ago.

17. Banned
    What’s wrong with parents and coaches?

What's not?

Coached my son is baseball 10-12 and again his Sr year. It was a great time for us both. Only a couple of minor things like a dad that was mad his son was called our for an illegal bat. Opposing coach shut him down immediately. Did have one jerk of a kid the last year but we made it clear his attitude was not accepted and he never came back.

Probably the worst thing I saw is now one I laugh about. He was playing football at around the 9-10 year old range. Other team was dirty, lots of holding and stuff like that. My son ran back a kick, made a good return and was tackled by "a host of defensive players" as they say. All good so far. Well, the big pile got of him and finally he stood up and out of nowhere here some this kid flying in and tackles him. I jumped up with one broken leg and made my opinion of that heard, Cleanly and nonaggressive, just very loud. LOL. Kid was immediately ejected. Like I said, I laugh now but I'd hate to have to deal with that crap every time we went to a game.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow