Is it the coach or the QB

Since Tom Brady departed New England and Roethlisberger departed the steelers, how will these coaches be looked at now that their hall of fame QB's are gone. I am thinking they will turn ordinary without their security blankets around.

2. Member
    Without Brady, Bill is only a bit above average.
    Same with Mike Tomlin.

It's so easy now Bruce Arians and Todd Bowles should be automatic HOF coaches

4. Member
    Looking more and more like the QB, however the head coach is responsible for everything, defense, special teams, personnel.

Belichik doesn’t stand much of a chance to get out of Brady’s shadow, cause that SOB won’t retire.
    Kyle

2010 Nitro Z-7

PB: 11 lbs, 1 oz

5. Losing fish by the pound. CDN Bass's Avatar

Who are these guys? I watch hockey.

Maple syrup... I put that sh*t on everything!
    '09 Stratos 201 XL EVO DC | 250 Pro XS | Razor 4 25P | 6" JP | 10' Talons Gen 2 | 112# Ultrex | Lowrance C12 x 4 | AT | '16 RAM Rebel

6. Member
    Tomlin has a safety net. He said he no way he starts a game in 2022. Let's see if he uses it or what.
    when you see this on the water stop and say hi.

Well it will be interesting to see how Tampa does this year
    Brady is the Goat but he's not getting any younger

For Belichik i've always thought he does develop or draft better then others.
    There's more then Brady that came out of nowhere

8. Member
    I quit watching 2-3 seasons ago, but I still hear and see a few things. I was pretty avid watcher before I quit tho (not packers fan). So I will chime in with my worthless 2 cents. I think it’s a combination of the 2. I don’t think it’s simply 1 more than the other. I mean coaching or Qb’s we are comparing here aren’t all that great. I think if you separate them they all have mediocre careers. Take the qb’s and yes I know Brady is the goat or so most think. But winning aside, I’ll give him work ethic but you can’t say Brady had the same kind of just qb talent say a Marino, Elway, or even like a Roger’s has. These guys were great and we’re gonna be special no matter who coached them. Montana would be another good example of a Brady, yes great, but not overwhelmingly talented. And there were some coaches that were just great coaches, but very few. So in these examples I don’t think one thrives without the other. That’s my take, I’m out.

9. robdy72
    Its never easy when you lose a great quarterback, they are still great coaches, just a lot tougher with a less talented quarterback.

10. Member
    It's both, a QB can't win without a good coach and a coach can't win without a good QB. As a Chiefs fan I have seen both sides. We have had bad teams with HOF coaches (Stram, Marv Levy) and mediocre teams with good coaches and average QB's (Reid, Schottenheimer, Dick Vermeil) but we only had great teams with great QB's and great coaches.

What’s this great quarterback and coach you speak of? Asking for a Browns fan…..
    97 TR21 99 225EFI S/N OG885575

12. Member
    Tomlin, In My Opinion, has been skating along for the last 15 years with Cowers Boys.

Ben was the Last of Bill's Picks to leave. Now the Team is all Tomlin's. Fail or Win it's all on him.

He has been told how great he is for 15 years. No Loosing Record. 2 SB Appearence. 1-1 Record.

I have Lots of Family that lives in the area and most of them are more than ready for Tomlin to be gone.

13. Member
    The GB is only as good as his OL will let him be.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye1 View Post
    Tomlin, In My Opinion, has been skating along for the last 15 years with Cowers Boys.

Ben was the Last of Bill's Picks to leave. Now the Team is all Tomlin's. Fail or Win it's all on him.

He has been told how great he is for 15 years. No Loosing Record. 2 SB Appearence. 1-1 Record.

I have Lots of Family that lives in the area and most of them are more than ready for Tomlin to be gone.

Tomlin would get his choice of jobs as soon as he left. I'd take him over McCarthy any day. I think he is a good coach.

15. Member
    Joe Gibbs won 3 Super bowls with 3 different QBs while coaching the Skins. None of them hall of famers. Great coaching and decent players

Joe Gibbs would be a great example of Coach>> QB. He won three SBs with three different QBs. None of those QBs were considered to be HOF caliber guys either. But a good coach knows how to maximize strengths and minimize weaknesses while also motivating his team.

Contrast that to Brady this year. He is near the bottom of QB ratings, and just so happens to have a new coach. I doubt Todd Bowles is trying to teach Brady how to be a QB, but he does bring a different mindset to play calling. I think TB has one of the highest run percentages on 1st and 2nd down. Taking the ball out of Bradys hands except for obvious passing downs. It's minimizing a strength.
    Azure AZ200 (with stuff like cupholders, bathroom and table)

Quote Originally Posted by jamie150 View Post
    Joe Gibbs won 3 Super bowls with 3 different QBs while coaching the Skins. None of them hall of famers. Great coaching and decent players
    OMG Jamie jumped in like a Ninja as I was typing my response. He's not wrong either
    Azure AZ200 (with stuff like cupholders, bathroom and table)

Quote Originally Posted by vatreefarmer View Post
    Joe Gibbs would be a great example of Coach>> QB. He won three SBs with three different QBs. None of those QBs were considered to be HOF caliber guys either. But a good coach knows how to maximize strengths and minimize weaknesses while also motivating his team.

Contrast that to Brady this year. He is near the bottom of QB ratings, and just so happens to have a new coach. I doubt Todd Bowles is trying to teach Brady how to be a QB, but he does bring a different mindset to play calling. I think TB has one of the highest run percentages on 1st and 2nd down. Taking the ball out of Bradys hands except for obvious passing downs. It's minimizing a strength.

Tampa is also having O line issues as well as a run of WR injuries. Tbey are playing practice squad WRs. Both games so far have been against pretty stout defenses and pass rushers as well.

19. Member
    ^ He isn't exactly a spring chicken anymore either. Figure in this case it matters a little, playing good D with a bad line, if here were say 10 years younger he could maybe buy a little more time at least. Experience is better imo, but having younger legs wouldn't hurt any under duress.