Vented cover for outboard

How many of you use one? I’ve been thinking of getting one to protect my cowling. Is there any concern to getting dust in between it and scratching it up? How often do you take it off to clean the cowling?

2. Member
    Following.

3. Member
    Put a coat of wax on it and cover it. Then forget about it.
    when you see this on the water stop and say hi.

4. Member
    I do after dirt dauber cost me about 2 k
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

5. Member
    I’ve been running one since I got the boat…clean and wax the cowling and let the wax “cure” for a day and cover. Zero rubbing marks and it keeps the bugs from going down the highway, chips, grime off. If it’s dirty I throw the cover in the washing machine. If I’m out in the Dakota’s where there’s lots of gravel I’ll pull it and hit the cowling with a Quik wax spray before putting it back on for the haul home.
    2019 Ford F-150 Platinum (3.5EcoBoost/10spd)
    **Listed FOR SALE**2014 Ranger Z119C w/ Evinrude ETEC 225HO Running Croxton’s Razor 4XL 25P
    Helix 12 Mega G2N’s with Ultrex
    Think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets

Been running vented covers for 10 years. Buy a good one that has soft lining. Put a good coat of wax on cowling. I usually pull it off every 6 months and check for scuffs and maybe give another wax job on cowling so far-great product.

2020 Ranger 521L Tour, 300 Mercury, 112 Minn Kota Ultrex
    3 12" Helix Units, Mega Si, Mega Di, Mega 360, Garmin 8412 W LiveScope mounted on Rite Hite Turret.

7. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    I'm also running a cover on my Mercury.....like others i take it from time to time to check things out or when i'm washing the boat, other than that, it stays on....
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

They will rub the paint in certain spots regardless of how much wax you put on the cowl. I have one on my V-8 pro max and in certain spots it has rubbed white marks into the paint. It is on very tight and set where it is supposed to go so it has been properly installed. I have only 28 hours on my engine so it did not take long for the rub marks to happen. Others who have this cover have the same rubbing the paint problems and have removed them. My buddy has one on his Opt and the cover went from black when new to grey very quickly with limited use and his boat is stored in his garage when not in use. Just a FYI...you can stick a hook into them and getting that hook out is going to require you to cut it out cause it sticks in the material.

They are nice in theory but they are not worth the money and end results.

Quote Originally Posted by angleiron View Post
    They will rub the paint in certain spots regardless of how much wax you put on the cowl. I have one on my V-8 pro max and in certain spots it has rubbed white marks into the paint.
    One long road trip to see scuff marks on mine.
    Took it off and only use it when fishing in flooded brush.

The poster in post #8 obviously doesn't fish up in the woods or heavy brush with limbs dragging along the sides of the cowling or on top of it. If you fish in heavy cover I highly recommend getting one. A few small scuffs from a cover beat the hell out of deep scratches from limbs and brush.

11. Member
    I have a SHO 250 with a Yamaha brand cover and I always use the cover when I’m not using the motor.
    So far I have not seen any chafing or scuffing on the cowling, I did have the cowling ceramic coated when it was new. Cover is non-vented so no good when fishing but it works for trailering and storing.

12. Member
    I have had one on for over a year. Keeps the bugs OFF. No issues so far. I take it off a few times to wipe down motor and re apply Protec

Got mine from the mercury dock store online. Very well made
    ,vented, and made to run with it on. First one I’ve ever bought for a boat but so far so good. Have ran it since April. Waxed cowling before I put it on. No more bug splatter, no risk of a bullet weight coming at it at warp speed and doing damage etc. Very tight fit and they way they line it I can’t see how it would scuff anything. Wash it with my hand mitt everytime I wash the boat when I come in off the water. I’m sure over time the color will fade though.
    24’Bass Cat Puma Sts-300 Proxs
    23’Gatortrax Gt tunnel hull-200 Suzuki

My 2007 Mercury has had a vented cover on it for the past 8 years. It gets pulled every few months and the cowling washed and sprayed with BBS.
    Any time I’m caught in dusty or rainy conditions I remove it, turn it inside out, and rinse and dry it before reinstalling. Where I fish an OB cover is essentially unless you want your cowling ruined. Mine looks new.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

15. Member
    Other than fading from sun exposure my RMP vented cover has not rubbed my cowling and I am happy with it.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

16. Member
    Where can you get a vented one for a SHO?

17. Member
    Thanks for the input guys. I’m leaning towards getting one. Just got to figure out if I want the RMP or tuff skin

18. Member
    I've used a vented cover for 11 years.... no scuffing. The only time it is off is when I check the engine oil level. The top is full of pin holes from crankbait hooks and weights bouncing off the top by co-anglers. More than saved my cowling. Personally, I wouldn't run an engine without a cover. I wipe it down with 303 about every 3 months.....result, no color fade.

19. Member
    I don't see the reason for one, I understand keeping you motor covered while it is out of the water and towing to keep it looking nice. But why keep it covered all the time if you never get to see what the motor actually looks like?

Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    I don't see the reason for one, I understand keeping you motor covered while it is out of the water and towing to keep it looking nice. But why keep it covered all the time if you never get to see what the motor actually looks like?
    In my case, I fish a couple of lakes that are filled with standing green timber, brush along the banks, and other heavy cover that you have to navigate thru to get to shallow spots. Wind and current are another concern when I’m in heavy cover. Without a cover the cowling wouldn’t look good for long. The cowling on my 07 OptiMax still looks new. And I can’t imagine why anybody would trailer any distance to speak of without a motor cover. Bugs, rocks, and road grime makes one worth every dime.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"