Thread: Grass jig mold

Grass jig mold

anyone that has one have you had issues getting the 3/8 to pour and have you found a solution have tried for better than a month with no luck

So far this mold sux.... But I plan on tweaking it this weekend.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

I've seen guys on the tackle building Facebook groups mention that you have to get it super hot to get it to pour correctly. I don't pour lead so I don't know for myself, but I've seen that mentioned as a solution many times over the last month or so. That includes several guys who've turned out good looking jigs with it complaining about having to do that. Sounds like there's quite a learning curve to it.

I've got no doubt 21XDC will figure out the way to modify it to make it work like it should.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post

I've got no doubt 21XDC will figure out the way to modify it to make it work like it should.
    No doubt about that. They don't come any better.

5. Great Lakes Captain RangerTim619's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 21XDC View Post
    So far this mold sux.... But I plan on tweaking it this weekend.

What mold are you talking about.. https://barlowstackle.com/do-it-hybrid-grass-jig-mold/
    Ranger 619 * Honda 200* Minn Kota* Humminbird *Garmin
    Fenwick *Abu Garcia

The real problem with this mold is they made the collar area too small in diameter. Not enough space around the hook to "flow" around. The barbs facing the opposite direction of flow does not help much either. So I vented the barbs with .030 slots, vented the hook exit area to .065. I sprayed graphite on the mold. I always heat my hooks, It was better, but not good. My lead is at 850* and mold was screaming hot. I found that putting the mold super close to the spout, worked a lot better than just pretty close. The lead cannot splash off the sides of the mold sprue opening. It must hit dead nuts center. I was still having some problems. My last trick of the trade was to spray the hooks with graphite where the lead goes. I'm now pouring at 90%+... This all could have been prevented if they stopped making the collar so small in diameter.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Blaster-...8-GS/202597501

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

7. Moderator
    That stuff is better than smoking the mold by far.

I just poured a ton of the 3/8 tonight.... Mold still sux! What helped the most was ladle pouring. I have the best bottom pour pot that I'm aware of. I tried slow-----fast pouring etc. I think that the lead may be hotter near the surface of my pot and ladle pouring helped a lot.

9. Member
    I am going to try and vent it next but have been ladle pouring it with no luck Do It told me to heat the mold so I did with hook and pin in it and it did not help, I guess I am a sucker for buying lead molds. I feel I am turning into Mike just buying them to try

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nowater2shallow View Post
    I feel I am turning into Mike just buying them to try
    Probably only a thousand or more to go to be compared to Mike.

11. Member
    I have two sets of both molds and not one issue. All of the heads pour complete and no issues getting them out of the mold. Jigs fall out of the mold when pour is complete. I have poured several thousand heads thru these molds. I use a Lee 10 lb bottom pour melting pot.

I too struggle with the 3/8 size but I tried going with a 4/0 hook instead of the called out 3/0 so maybe that makes a difference. All other cavities pour great. In fact, for the 1/2 oz + sizes it is a very good jighead that comes through cover great and holds baits firm.

I had to pour about 20 jigs to get 5 of them halfway decent. None came out perfect.

I have yet to modify anything and frankly I am not sure it is worth the trouble.

I think they tried to fit too many sizes into this mold. They should have released the 1/2 oz + sizes in one release and the 3/8 oz - sizes in another release. My guess is they didn't release the smaller one (confirmed they are developing one) due to design issues, most likely the same as the 3/8 oz size has.

I think if they had a wire keeper designed to have an upper and lower keeper to it, the mold would cast easier. Maybe that is the way they will go for the smaller sizes?

When bass fishermen are fishing for bass, They are always fishing for a 5lber.... When reducing weight size, Nobody I know wants a smaller hook... Just a lighter head and slower fall.... No need to make a 3/8 mold with a smaller hook.... Make it fit the 4/0 and 5/0.... I never understood their logic.

Were not fishing for smaller fish with a 3/8 head....