1987 Johnson gt 150 timing

Need to adjust the timing, what are the specs far as btdc at idle and the max at wide open throttle? Thanks.

2. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    There's not idle btdc spec. You have pick up timing 7-8 degrees btdc and max wot 28 degrees btdc with good gas/26 btdc with anything less than 91 octane. If engine won't idle after setting these 2 things, you have other issues. MUST use a test wheel. Any other method is not accurate and could cause serious damage.
    Last edited by omcforever; 09-23-2022 at 05:19 AM.

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

3. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    OMC manual explains procedure.

4. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Are you chasing a problem with the engine?

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by omcforever View Post
    Are you chasing a problem with the engine?
    Back when we got it a few years ago we had issues with it running so we replaced all the ignition, timing ring ( which was bad), plugs, rebuilt the carbs, replaced the fuel pumps. All of it was original besides the plugs. After the it ran fine at idle and after plain off. it struggled with plaining off at times. The timing arm on the throttle would not move when we pushed the throttle down so we had to make something work in the mean time until I could fin The last time it was used was labor day of 2021 and it was never ran again until last week. The person helping me with it was my dad which unfortunately his cancer advanced in Dec that eventually took him from us on July 4th of this year. I finally found a used working timing arm and I just wanted to make sure the timing was at spec.

6. Member
    right now it idles and does fine just plaining off it acts like it does not want too. where can I find the OMC manual at to see the procedure?

7. Member
    I do have new plugs for it of which I have not changed out as of yet. I am planning on doing so before I take for a test run.

8. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar

9. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Explain what you mean by replacing the timing ring? Need to find out what is restricting timing arm movement (what did you do to fix it in the meantime?) Just curious.

10. Member
    I called it the timing ring above, but I think it's really called the timer base. Far as the timing arm we took it apart and found that a piece where the spring that controls the two had broken off. At the time we couldn't find one new or used so we just placed a small hose clamp around the two loose enough to where when the throttle arm moved forward it would pull the timing arm with it. Yeah, I'm sure I will get knocked on for doing so but it actually worked. Given the age of the engine and the parts are hard to come by, we had to do something. Since I have found a used one in good shape, I am going to replace it and make it work the right way. Just wanted to check the timing after I did to make sure it was according to spec.

11. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by treywilmoth View Post
    I called it the timing ring above, but I think it's really called the timer base. Far as the timing arm we took it apart and found that a piece where the spring that controls the two had broken off. At the time we couldn't find one new or used so we just placed a small hose clamp around the two loose enough to where when the throttle arm moved forward it would pull the timing arm with it. Yeah, I'm sure I will get knocked on for doing so but it actually worked. Given the age of the engine and the parts are hard to come by, we had to do something. Since I have found a used one in good shape, I am going to replace it and make it work the right way. Just wanted to check the timing after I did to make sure it was according to spec.
    I have most any parts you would ever need for your motor.....

12. Member
    Glad to know that now lol. You didn't happen to sell a throttle arm/timing arm on ebay and ship it to mississippi did you?

13. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by treywilmoth View Post
    Glad to know that now lol. You didn't happen to sell a throttle arm/timing arm on ebay and ship it to mississippi did you?
    Not me,,,I dont sell on EBAY.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by omcforever View Post
    Not me,,,I dont sell on EBAY.
    oh ok. Thought id asked.