Starter/solenoid replacement tips? Grease? Coatings?

I've believe I've got a starter not turning on my 1998 Evinrude 175 carbed BE175GLECD G04375076. Been making noise and failed to start once last week while ready to load on the trailer. It started after checking kill switch and neutral switch but not sure that had anything to do with it. This week starter would click but nothing moved when it was time to head in. No luck after wiggling, jiggling, tapping etc. Tried to start quite a few times and starter body was very warm. Could hear the click each time. Finally got some smoke from somewhere. Headed back with trolling motor.

Crowley has a new starter and solenoid on the way. Question is, is there anything I should do or avoid as I replace the starter? Should the connections have any grease or coating or anything as I put it back together? Do any connections or terminals get a coating (similar to battery terminals) after it's all back together? Other than cranking battery disconnected and take pictures before I start, any tips? Anything I need to replace while I'm doing this?

Thanks
    Hang on. I'll help you in 77 minutes.

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Take off the port side belly pan makes it easier for you. Nothing on any of the parts, you'll have to move the small gear on the top of the starter over to the new one so you'll need a pair of snap ring pliers.

3. Member
    Thank You.

4. Member
    Success. Thanks. Crowley had the parts here quickly. I finally had time to change it. Took my time. CRanked right up. Even took it to the river for a short trip and caught a few fish. Sounded good. Strays well. Very relieved.