dual axle ranger trail plug

2015 ranger z119c w/ dual axle ranger trail trailer.

I am experiencing all sorts of trailer light funkiness that I am almost certain is being caused by grounding issues. When, and only when I fiddle with and wiggle the wires right where they come into the plug, I can get things to work as they should. I am thinking there is a bad ground going on in the plug. Picture of the plug is attached. Does anybody know where I can find a replacement for this? I cannot seem to find any 5-flat plugs with the 9 separate wires coming into it.

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by blueblaster8; 09-21-2022 at 08:22 AM.

2. Member
    Ranger specific trailer harness…..but pretty much overkill.

etrailer solution: https://www.etrailer.com/question-93959.html

Lightning 6
    2007 TR-196DC

3. Member
    I am experiencing all sorts of trailer light funkiness that I am almost certain is being caused by grounding issues.

I am thinking there is a bad ground going on in the plug.

Tube trailer?

If so, I would think you have some wires worn if experiencing intermittent problems.

Two white ground wires indicate you have a ground wire for each side of trailer.

Good luck

4. Scraps
    This trailer have a jointed tongue? On my Marine Master I have the jointed tongue and the trailer ground terminates on the boat side of the joint. So only when there is a load on the tongue do I have a continuous ground across the jointed tongue. I've been meaning to add a jumper across the joint, but this caused me some panic until I figured it out.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

5. Member
    Call Ranger on that plug. They may still have it. You will not find it anywhere else. I have one with 7 wires and couldn’t find any similar at the trailer places online. Never seen one with 9. Looks like three ground wires. Are all three connected to the trailer frame? I just tracked down a disconnected wire in my Rangertrail. It was in the wiring harness in the tongue. Had to pull the entire harness out of the tongue and cut away the outer sleeve to find it. At first I thought it was the 7 wire plug where the tongue can be disconnected. Took me a while to figure out where the break was. Had no turn or brake lights on the right side. A crimp connector Ranger had installed in the harness lost the green wire. Volt meter using continuity setting and I finally located where it was disconnected. Cut the sheath away there, and there it was. I found three small crimp connectors in the harness, all under the outer sheath. Only the green had lost the wire, but ended up cutting them all out and soldering/heat shrinking the connections. Used good quality electrical tape in place of the sheath. Lights are all good now. Your connector looks fine. Check continuity on all the wires. You might start with just making sure all your grounds are making a solid connection to the trailer frame. Your issue may be in the plug itself, but betting it is not.
    Last edited by Amistad Tackle; 09-25-2022 at 07:28 AM.

6. Member
    You can buy a 5 pin connector at Wal Mart of all places. Just make sure when you splice it in you use the butt connectors with heat shrink on them(Blue ones), those are available at the auto part stores.

7. Member
    I would look where the white (ground) wires connect to the trailer.

After years of the plug swaying back and forth, sometimes this will be the culprit.

Its easier to find the short if you can get someone to look at the lights as you slowly move the plug around, to watch if the lights go on and off.

good luck
    1998 Triton TR-20, 2017 Evinrude 150HO

8. Member
    Any 5 flat plug will work. Tie all whites together, all brown together and the two reds together. 99% of the time it’s that plug because it flexes the most often, followed by a jacked up ground.
    Respectfully,
    Captain Rab
    V1CO 1:27 But God has chosen the foolish things of the
    world to put to shame the wise; and God has
    chosen the weak things of the world to put to
    shame the things which are mighty