2015 Mercury 225 tilt/trim issues

2015 Mercury 225 Optimax Pro XS - SN: 2B093135

I am having a few minor issues relating to my trim/tilt that I would like to address.

1. The motor will not trim all the way up, it get up just enough for me to get my motormate in there, and that is it. When holding the switch it seems something is cutting it off electrically, because the motor stops. If I repeatedly press the button, it will occasionally get a jolt of power, but then immediately cut out again. Any ideas?

2. The trim is making a squealing noise ONLY on the way down, and ONLY as soon as it hits the rods. Checked fluid, it is clean, and full. Greased the balls on the tips of the rods, they are moving freely, and I have replaced the striker plates. Any ideas?

Thanks!

2. Member
    does it have a limit switch installed under cowling for tilt up mode , #2 posible pump valve body problem
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    does it have a limit switch installed under cowling for tilt up mode , #2 posible pump valve body problem
    Thanks for the response Joe. I discovered that there is in fact a trim limit switch under the cowling. I was able to follow steps I found on the internet on how to calibrate it. Worked great and got the motor trimming higher now!

As for #2, spoke on the phone with 5-Star Marine, a company based out of FL, that sells tilt/trim service kits, as well as rebuild services. They requested I send them a video of what I am observing. Sent that video off to them, we'll see what they say.

Thanks again for your response.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Be sure to report back on what they tell you, because I'm going to say that if it sounds like a pig with a wooden spoon stuck up it's backside.... that's pretty normal.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor