Underrated Fluro

Looking to buy a few spools of new fluro and I love my Tatsu but sometimes I really wonder if I want to go spend 250 a spool on it. I mainly use 15lb. Looking for a good Fluro like Sniper (or even tatsu if it exists) for a better price...maybe an "up and coming/less known line" or less marketed so less expensive.

Any recommendations?

THANK YOU
    Where are the BIG ones? When are we going?
    LOOKING for a Great deal on a Slightly used 20-21' Boat.

2. Member
    I like Sniper and Assassin. I also like Ivizx. Though try some #16 Yo Zuri Top Knot. I have not had any troubles with it. It’s diameter is very close to Sniper and Tatsu

3. Member
    One more thing. I’ve used it in 8, 10, 12, and #16. Used as leaders and main line

4. Scraps
    Quote Originally Posted by basscat tyler View Post
    I like Sniper and Assassin. I also like Ivizx. Though try some #16 Yo Zuri Top Knot. I have not had any troubles with it. It’s diameter is very close to Sniper and Tatsu
    Trying the newer Yeah-Zuri, "T-6" I think with the yellow label. Really like it. Can find it at Discount Tackle or Omnia at a decent discount or on sale. I like that it comes in 14 and 16lb and like said the diameters are thin.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

I'm a Sniper fan. I've always been really happy with it, and it gets put into use in every situation I'm using fluoro with the exception of my dragging rod where I use Sunline Shooter or Structure FC. The latter two are less well-behaved but have a little less stretch which is important when I'm dragging a football jig, C-rig, etc. Sniper is the best combination of manageability, low stretch, and durability of anything I've tried...admittedly I've not tried Tatsu as I've not been willing to pay for it.

Diameter was already mentioned, but I'll reiterate: definitely buy/compare diameter to diameter, not lb test to lb test. Seaguar and Sunline (and Yo Zuri - good call krindgen) usually have much smaller diameters for a given lb test rating which can be very misleading if you don't notice the differences in diameter. Just as an example, Berkley 100% Fluorocarbon seems like it's really strong and tough compared to others...at least until you realize its 8 lb is the same diameter as Sunline and Seaguar 12 lb. That makes it a lot less impressive. Something closely related is whether you can actually trust the published diameters, though there's not a whole lot you can do with that. Fortunately I've really only noticed this being an issue with braid (Fins and Berkley X5/X9 have been the two biggest offenders I've found at dramatically understating their diameters), but still maybe something to watch in fluoro.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

6. Member
    I only use Tatsu in 6 and 8lb, the only lines that I'll spool on spinning rods are that and Gamma Touch. 10lb and above on baitcasters and I typically just go with Invisix and have no complaints and I use a lot of 15lb.

7. Member
    Yozuri Top Knot again. Small diameter, very hard finish for good abrasion resistance. It’s not “soft”. It’s the real deal so not the most manageable line but strong and tough. The price is really really good.

8. Member
    Not super cheap, but abrazx is a good step down in cost from tatsu and works great. It's a bit of a myth that its harder handling line than invizx. Like others have mentioned, sniper is good too. Unfortunately, I've found generally you get what you pay for when it comes to flouro.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

9. Member
    Sniper was out of stock so I tried Assassin and it was just as good. It was 12 lb and I couldn't tell the difference and I've used only sniper for years.

10. Member
    Assassin is a hair thicker but seems to handle as well as Sniper for me

11. Member
    Does Tatsu make leader material or are you guys just using a regular spool?
    1997 Ranger 692VS
    2014 Mercury 175 Pro XS 2B111166

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basscat tyler View Post
    Assassin is a hair thicker
    Didn't know that but I couldn't really notice the difference- they are both pretty thin lines for the lb test.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnybass View Post
    Didn't know that but I couldn't really notice the difference- they are both pretty thin lines for the lb test.
    Probably not enough to notice with the naked eye ha. It’s just listed slightly thicker in diameter. I’ve really liked how Assassin has handled so far

Another vote for Yo-Zuri Top Knot !! Really a smooth and strong line. I only use it as a leader to braid. If I full spool, I use Yo-Zuri Hybrid. It's Fluro coated co-polymer, and tough as nails !!!
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

15. Member
    Been using 16lb yozuri t7 the last few months, not bad for $20, a little memory but very tough.

16. Member
    Seaguar Invizx for the win!

17. Member
    I know above it has been mentioned that Berkley 100% is a little larger than other brands, but I really like that line a lot. Great knot strength, very good memory, etc. InvisX is great, but I wouldn’t pay the price for it. Back when it was $18 sure, but for $30, no way.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp