Thread: Repowered 176

Repowered 176

I recently repowered my '94, 176DC with a 4 stroke 140. The transom always sat low in the water before and now with the extra weight it sits a little lower. I run 4 batteries in it, could eliminate one as it mainly was just added power for accessories. I fished a 3 day tournament this weekend and I could really feel that the boat is handling differently now. Before in rough water, I could trim the bow down and let the Vee cut thru the wave. Now it feels like the bow rides higher and it is more of a slam when it goes over the wave instead of cutting thru it. It could have been the extra weight of water in the livewells along with the added motor weight as I never use my livewells before this weekend. Lake Fork has boat lanes so with all of the boats using them it was a constant beating which you normally don't have on other lakes around here. I can even feel a difference in trailering that extra weight back there.

I would like to go to lithium batteries and reduce the weight but after the cost of the new motor, they are out of my budget for now. I had always thought about building a box in the center area to enlarge the deck and provide more storage. Now I am considering building the box and moving the batteries up there to even the weight out a little more. I am trying to think of any cons to doing it. If it gets the ride back to normal, it is a pretty smooth ride so that shouldn't make the batteries take any more abuse than they take right now. Anyone know of a reason that I should not do it? I figure that it would reduce the weight back to what it was with the 2 stroke on the back.

2. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    If you have a jack plate, stuff a basketball in it and air it up. That will help raise the stern.

3. Member
    No jackplate. I thought about adding one to see if that would help but the dealer who installed it and Hydro Dynamics did not think that it would solve my problem and recommended that I not add one for a few other reasons. I may just need some more time in the seat with it and see if it is just me before I start making changes.

4. Member
    What motor was on it before? What’s the weight difference with the new motor?

5. Member
    Had a Mercury 115 before so the 4 stroke 140 is about 100 lbs heavier.

If you think it rides like crap now wait till you add the batteries in the middle of the boat, it’ll be worse.

7. Member
    Are you running a 3 blade prop?

8. Member
    Just curious why it would it ride worse if he gets the cg back to where it use to be?

I had the same issue with my Suzuki 175 on my 184 trailering. I had to move the boat way up on the trailer. My bow will trim down though.

Throw a couple of 50 pund bags of salt and test out the balance.
    1990 Champion 184DC/FS
    1990 Evinrude 150XP Raker 22P
    2x HB Helix 9SI
    MK Ultrex 80# Ipilot

9. Member
    Get your prop worked properly from a reputable prop guy

Because you're moving to much weight (about 300 pounds) from the fulcrum point of the boat to the middle of the boat.

11. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MMosher View Post
    Because you're moving to much weight (about 300 pounds) from the fulcrum point of the boat to the middle of the boat.
    I agree, moving batteries forward will move the CG too far forward. The 176 was rated for a 150, so compre your 140 4S against a 150 EFI or GT150. Consider pulling that extra battery.

12. Member
    I had that boat with merc. 150 mag. Not much difference in weight. I could trim down and plow water. Does the new motor trim in the same distance? Transom dry?

13. Member
    I haven't had a chance to get back on the water yet. I am considering pulling the extra battery. Yes it trims the same distance and the transom is dry. I had to remove the old transom a few years back and poured a new transom. I am running a 3 blade aluminum prop at the moment until I got the motor broke in and then we were going to figure out the best prop to go with. I am considering going with a 4 bladed prop but haven't talked to them yet and made a decision. I guess I am getting a little early on looking for changes until I figure out the correct prop to use and to try it for a while.

14. Member
    Prop choice will make a big difference in the performance & handling. A 4 blade is a good choice as it will give you better rough water handling

15. Member
    You need to find a good prop for it first. After that, switch to lithium if you can and you’ll be fine