Defense ammo, check these out

At the first of the year Wilson Combat acquired Lehigh Defense who only makes bullets, now WC is starting to produce ammo using their bullets. In the pistol world the Extreme Defense looks pretty impressive. My job has me at Wilson for about a month now and one of the Lehigh engineers swears that all police departments should be carrying the Extreme Defense. The rifle ammo variations are pretty impressive as well.

Rifle ammo

Interesting. Black Hills Honey Badger is a similar round with a fluted bullet. Hornady has their Extreme Defense and Critical Duty rounds which though aren't fluted offer the choice between wound expansion or penetration through obstacles. Lot so nasty stuff out there that I would not want to be shot with.

I was originally skeptical about the Lehigh bullet design, but have been convinced it is perhaps a better mousetrap. Bill Wilson is active on a hunting forum I belong to, and has shared some of the testing and end results of the fluted design.
    Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Quillback View Post
    Interesting. Black Hills Honey Badger is a similar round with a fluted bullet. Hornady has their Extreme Defense and Critical Duty rounds which though aren't fluted offer the choice between wound expansion or penetration through obstacles. Lot so nasty stuff out there that I would not want to be shot with.
    One thing about the fluted vs hollow point is there's no plugging like when a hollow point goes through clothing or other media.

5. Member
    I stick to tried and true so no way I am betting on something like that until time has proven the design.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    I stick to tried and true so no way I am betting on something like that until time has proven the design.
    I'm digging the no clog that you would get from a hollow point passing through clothing, wood, sheet rock, etc. Looking at the ballistic gel from the Extreme Defense is pretty impressive, it can pass through media and not clog. I'm going to get a box of 45 for my 1911 tomorrow when I'm at Wilson.

Quote Originally Posted by Cestratton View Post
    One thing about the fluted vs hollow point is there's no plugging like when a hollow point goes through clothing or other media.
    There's a thread on this on pistol-forum.com in the ammo forum. Lots of comments to weed through, but this one stands out: 'I wouldn't use these on the street. Too much penetration.'

8. Member
    There's a thread on this on pistol-forum.com in the ammo forum. Lots of comments to weed through, but this one stands out: 'I wouldn't use these on the street. Too much penetration.'
    Referring to the Xtreme Penetrator or Xtreme Defense?

Quote Originally Posted by Cestratton View Post
    Referring to the Xtreme Penetrator or Xtreme Defense?
    I believe the Penetrator, I'd have to go back to that thread, dunno if I have the energy.

10. Member
    I believe the Penetrator, I'd have to go back to that thread, dunno if I have the energy.
    The video above shows that the XP gives over 30" of penetration with smaller wound cavity whereas the XD stopped at 18" which meets FBI protocol and gives a much larger wound cavity on impact.