Question about Alarm During Idle

Serial # 2B590145

This weekend at the lake I encountered an alarm that I have never had. My boat ran fabulous, no problems at all. I hit top end RPMs, normal water pressure, and everything was normal operation. I fished for about and hour at my first spot, cranked up and began idling to graph a ledge. While idling a solid beep sounded and so I put the throttle to neutral and it went off. I then put it back in drive, planed out and made a hot pass to full speed. Everything good. Later on during the trip as I was idling and graphing again the solid beep sounded again for about 5 seconds, but this time ended on its own. It did this about 5 times throughout the entire day. Any ideas, fellas? Thanks in advance.

Only way to know for sure is to have the alarm codes read at a dealer. If you had a Smartcraft device it would have told you in plain language. A solid tone is a critical failure. I would not continue using the motor until resolved. If you do, Mercury can deny a warranty claim based on you continuing to use it despite an alarm.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    SOLID BEEP is a CRITICAL ALARM, and indicates that the engine should be shut down AS SOON AS SAFELY POSSIBLE, then get to a dealer for service.

DON'T continue to run the engine, even if the alarm stops sounding (that is NOT an indication that all is well).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Appreciate the info. Will have the alarm properly read to determine the issue. I have MPP until July 2024 if I remember correctly. Thanks for the help and I hope it isn't anything major. Hopefully, its a faulty alarm or some other type of easy fix. Wishful thinking doesn't hurt, right?

5. Member
    Just curious were you in a grass lake or clean water?

6. Member
    I did happen to pass thru some hydrilla at one point coming out of a cove, but for the most part all clean water. I'm not going to rule out come grass could have been picked up. I just pulled the green in line water strainer and it was free and clear. I change my oil and lower unit fluid way more often than most, but just to verify I am going to check oil level tomorrow evening when I have a little more time.

Buddy is bringing a vessel view mobile so I can check the code/fault. Plan on doing thermostat and water pump for maintenance and possibility of an overheating event. If anyone else has suggestions, please feel free to comment. Thanks, fellas.

Vessel View Mobile will not read historical codes, only display them while they are occurring.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

8. Member
    Mine still has a code from 4-26-22.

9. Member
    Was unaware of Vessel View mobile not reading historical codes. If the alarm is stored in the ECU why would it not show up on VVM?

Quote Originally Posted by BigBucketMouth33 View Post
    Was unaware of Vessel View mobile not reading historical codes. If the alarm is stored in the ECU why would it not show up on VVM?
    Mine VVM certainly does, it shows as stored faults and you can also choose to block a fault
    2018 TRX 18. 2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8

11. Member
    My motor had a new ECU installed this month and the VVM still shows a fault from last April. Faults must be stored in the VVM.

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by G Lambert View Post
    My motor had a new ECU installed this month and the VVM still shows a fault from last April. Faults must be stored in the VVM.
    That's possible, but only on the VVM.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor