Kentucky Bass Club/Trailers & Towing Moderator

Falling out of cradle

So I’ve only had my 4 93’s a few months now. And they are rock solid in the cradle. However I remove the graphs from the cradle after every trip and they ride in the truck. Again they are tight as can be. But since I install/remove them every trip should I be concerned that I will eventually loosen that tight snap in grip? Should I invest in the brackets to hold them in since I do them this way?

Also my 15 year old daughter is fishing for the local bass team. I’m her captain and it does concern me about them hitting the graphs and breaking them. Anyone have any experience with the glass protectors from Amazon? I know RMP sells them. But they are much higher. What makes them worth the difference?

Thanks
    Chris

2. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    I have a 1st gen 93 plus going on about 4 yrs or something like that and never once had it pop out of cradle and remove it after ever fishing trip. Now if it makes you feel better then get the clips they sell on Ebay. As for graph glass, can't help you there.

As for the cradle, these seem to be a popular clip to hold the unit in cradle.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/38406889380...Bk9SR6bY-rLrYA
    Last edited by fishin couillon; 09-20-2022 at 08:58 AM. Reason: added info
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

3. Member
    I use Precision Sonar Graph Glass on all my units...I prefer the clear glass model to the anti glare ones...great product
    Helix 9 Mega+ SI G3N ver. 2.750, Helix 9 Mega+ DI G3N ver. 2.750
    Garmin Echomap UHD 93sv ver. 21.10, LVS 32/GLS 10 ver. 2.58

4. Kentucky Bass Club/Trailers & Towing Moderator
    Thank you guys!!!

5. Member
    My buddy had one blow off going down the lake. Im not sure if he didnt get it back on correctly or if there was an actual problem with the craddle. Garmin replaced it but it left him without a graph for a few months.

6. Member
    I only remove mine when I take the boat in for service. I removed mine in early September and a few days later I put them back on. I pulled and tugged and they were solid. Fished about 3 hrs one day and drove home about 15 miles, when I got home the 93 was on the passenger seat! I have removed them probably 8 times in the last 13 months and this is the only incident. I double checked them when I put them back on and the 93 fell off. Examining the units it appeared that the 106 had a more positive lock in than the 93. My advice is double check them.

After reading a few accounts of the cradle issues experienced with the EchoMaps I decided to install some simple R clips as a safeguard.
    1/8” with some 5/64” heat shrink to keep it from scuffing up the cradle. Drilled a 5/64” hole. Works perfectly. Line up the bit in the center of the triangle area and drill from the outside of the mount with the locking mechanism flipped upward and out of the way.
    Easy removal and storage of the head unit was the reason I opted for an EchoMap 126sv. I’ve not had issues with the head popping out. Mine is rock solid when installed. But, a little insurance never hurts.
    7B200C34-5E3F-461E-9121-79E710E108B3.jpegB77E303A-EBCD-4322-94DB-62F80925F298.jpeg
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RazorCat View Post
    After reading a few accounts of the cradle issues experienced with the EchoMaps I decided to install some simple R clips as a safeguard.
    1/8” with some 5/64” heat shrink to keep it from scuffing up the cradle. Drilled a 5/64” hole. Works perfectly. Line up the bit in the center of the triangle area and drill from the outside of the mount with the locking mechanism flipped upward and out of the way.
    Easy removal and storage of the head unit was the reason I opted for an EchoMap 126sv. I’ve not had issues with the head popping out. Mine is rock solid when installed. But, a little insurance never hurts.
    7B200C34-5E3F-461E-9121-79E710E108B3.jpegB77E303A-EBCD-4322-94DB-62F80925F298.jpeg
    Pretty slick!! I am going to do the same. I do remove my Garmins from the bow and console as i store my boat on driveway under carport. Although I live in a descent neighborhood... I do not trust anyone when it comes to my graphs as I cannot afford to replace them. I did make a nice padded case for them and just throw the case into truck and put the graphs on at the lake but my aluminum boat does have a rough ride when the winds pick up and better safe than sorry right.

9. Member
    Good idea.

20210924_135651.jpg

Same here although I've never had one fall out.
    2018 G3 Sportsman 17
    2018 Yamaha F90
    Garmin Ultra 106sv bow/console
    Ionic lithium batteries