Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2003 Evinrude on 2003 Ranger 521VX won't start

I just bought this boat (9/2/22). I also have a nitro with an optimax on it) The owner of the Ranger said it has sat for around 3 yrs. The diagnoistic sheet said the motor only had 168 hrs on it. He had non-ethanol gas in it. I brought it home it fired up fine. I took it out Friday (9/16/22) ran it for about 2 hrs no problems. I take it out the next day (Saturday). I was running and gunning from spot to spot from 6am to abround 11:30 (thats when the problem started). It seemed to be dragging and not jumping up on plane the entire day. max speed was 50 mph. After jumping round all morning at 11:30 I go to start the engine and it would not start it spins with no problem. I checked my battery connections and they were fine. The battery finally ran out of juice. I brought a back up battery connected (hand tight connections) to it and the same thing spinning but not starting. After trolling back for about and hour I go back and check battery connections and decided to tighten them with a wrench. The motor started and we take off. About 10 min I back out of the throttle and idle. It seemed to be ideling roughly then it shut off. It has not started since. It still cranks but will not start. I can hear my fuel pump kick on when I unplug and plug the relays back in. The primer bulb is tight. I have also had the motor turn over when connecting my battery connections.

1). I pulled a couple spark plugs out and checked them and they are clean. However when cranking the engine there was no spark present.
    2) With my optimax if the battery does not put out enough amps the opti will not start is this the same with the ficht?
    3) I see people on here saying check the solder joints on the PDP. What and where is the PDP?
    4) I also see them talking about an EMM. What and where is that?

We do not have an Evinrude mechanic in my town (Sumter, SC) the closest one is Marshall Marine and I have not had success with them working on my motor.

Thanks in Advance for your help.
    <"(((((((>< Quit Wishing and go Fishing. ><)))))))">

2. Member
    pdp power distribution panel or close? controls the starter and trim I believe only--emm usually sets of the 4 warning lights on dash, any issues with that? need 800-1000 cca usually fine I had a 24 series for years with no issues than went to a 27 series
    might have bad fuel and or fuel hoses? injectors might be dirty from old fuel? the pros will be here soon lots of knowledge he on the fichts and dI engine
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

Seems to be getting fuel. I even shot starting fluid in it. Nothing that's when I decided to pull a plug and check for a spark. No spark on either side of the engine.

Double check the kill switch. Should be located down by the cigarette lighter.
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA
    2004 Ranger 521VX - Yamaha 250 SHO

I have pulled it and reconnected it a couple times. That one got me the first day I took it out.
    Thanks

The symptoms you describe are typical of the cold solder joint problem with the PDP (Power Distribution Panel)! Give these guys a call and they can help you troubleshoot it. https://www.dfitechnologies.com/
    Dan Burnette - Marietta, GA
    Triton 18TRX - 200 HO G2

7. Member
    I am having very similar problems with mine right now! After some great suggestions on here and help from a friend. We are leaning towards what people are saying, the PDP board. or something in the fuel line, air or a blockage of some kind. We are going to check all that Saturday. I can keep you posted on my findings. Not saying yours couldn't be, but I had mine looked at, at an Evinrude place. Fuel pumps, plugs, and everything else like that. No codes or alarms. He was leaning towards some kind of computer issue. My plan is to send my boards to DFI if we don't figure anything out Saturday

8. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    The only time my 03 225 HO and my 03 250 wouldn't crank......a pdp fixed it.

Thanks Any Idea as to what I should look for on the PDP? Do I take it off and should these soldier joint be in plane view?

Vince, I will keep checking to see your reply. Thanks

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sumterbasser View Post
    Thanks Any Idea as to what I should look for on the PDP? Do I take it off and should these soldier joint be in plane view?
    look for loose terminal where the solder did not stick and hold on a circuit board. can re-solder to correct if you have one
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

You will have to pop off the back to expose the circuit board!
    Triton 18TRX - 200 HO G2

Thanks Mactlman & Danrude. I will check those places out. I know I was looking from the front and didn't see any connections other than the plug-ins.

Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    look for loose terminal where the solder did not stick and hold on a circuit board. can re-solder to correct if you have one
    I pulled the PDP apart. I did not see any bad spots on the board. I could only see one side. It has some gray looking epoxy stuff on 2 edges of the circuit board that seemed to be holding in down so that I could not get the green board off.

A cold solder joint in difficult to see, you need to re-solder the connections to insure a good connections! The part of the board that needs to be cleaned up is the wires are attached to the board. If you do not know how to solder find someone that does and have the do it. Or you can send it to DFI and let them do it.
    Triton 18TRX - 200 HO G2

Danrude. I don't think I can get to the side with the wires without damaging it. When I got it apart there was some gooey stuff in it. I took out 2 screws holding the green board on and it would not come loose to see the back side. It looks like some expoxy on two spots. I don't know if its been worked on or not.

17. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Send it to DFI for repair

Championman. Going to call them tomorrow.

19. Member
    Simterbasser, I too have a no start issue with my ‘03 Ficht 225 HO (590 hours) and will be contacting DFI today for advice. They repaired my EMM a couple of years back. Its on my Ranger 520 and I’m almost at the point of selling my rig as I rarely use it and when I do, I’m not confident that I can travel outside of a mike or two from the ramp in case I have mechanical issues.

Let me know how your issue plays out and I’ll do the same…

I called DFI today and now I'm not the only one confused with my problem. I was asked to check fuse number 5 and the crank sensor. Soon as this hurricane leaves I will be chekcing those.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast