Trim rams stuck extended

Hello

New to the forums... I've tried to research, but haven't found quite the same issue that I have.

I have a 2007 20i with VZ250TLR I got recently. I'm pretty sure it has NEVER been maintained.

Anyway, the trim rams are stuck extended so it won't trim down all the way. There's a little mushrooming at the end of the rods, but manageable to fix. I'm ordering the typical o-rings, seals, and ram stuff to resolve it, but does anyone have any idea what would cause it to be stuck extended???

There is evidence of leaking at the seals, but nothing really bad. Yet.

Tilt works fine. Trim does also minus the issue above.

Thanks
    Last edited by spinkick63; 09-19-2022 at 11:49 AM.

2. Member
    UPDATE: Turns out they aren't completely stuck extended, but they are very tough to push in. Guess that explains the mushrooming .
    2007 Skeeter 20i
    2007 Yamaha VZ250TLR
    Dual 8' Power Pole Blades

3. Member
    id rebuild the rams, replace all seals and change the fluid out. The process is actually very simple. Once you get the caps off of the rams, suck the fluid out, change all of the seals and use Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid back in to replace the fluid. Find a youtube video that shows you how to bleed the air out of the system. See where you are at from there. Im assuming if the pump has been working extremely hard to get the motor to trim down it may need some love/replacement as well.
    06 Stratos 294 ProXL

4. Member
    I have the parts list and already bought the MT special tool. Unfortunately, I thought it would work on both trim and tilt. Nope. Have to buy the other one. Have watched a number of videos on the rebuild and it seems simple enough. I just don't get why it is so hard to trim down... especially since there's leaks in all three cylinders. Not bad, but nonetheless leaks.

Thanks
    2007 Skeeter 20i
    2007 Yamaha VZ250TLR

5. Member
    Let us know how it goes

my guess it’s not able to exchange the fluid efficiently to one side or the other of the pump. Either way will be bad. When my rams went it had trouble trimming both ways.
    06 Stratos 294 ProXL

6. Member
    I never followed up... Got the new seals/o-rings put in and fluid changed. Was quite simple to do. I did notice the pump makes a little more noise that it did before. Guess it will break next. :)
    Last edited by spinkick63; 10-25-2022 at 02:23 PM.
    2007 Skeeter 20i
    2007 Yamaha VZ250TLR