3 Year Old Seals Leaking

Replaced a seal last week. After driving another 400 miles The other side (same axle) started leaking. What are the odds ? I didn’t expect to have these issues for another few years. Wondering about replacing them on the back axle or is this just a freak thing. How long are you guys going before replacing seals ? It’s the Vault system..Marine master Trailer
    2019 Phoenix 920

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Laddertruck438 View Post
    Replaced a seal last week. After driving another 400 miles The other side (same axle) started leaking. What are the odds ? I didn’t expect to have these issues for another few years. Wondering about replacing them on the back axle or is this just a freak thing. How long are you guys going before replacing seals ? It’s the Vault system..Marine master Trailer
    Call Dexter and talk to the guy in Warranty if you have a new trailer. You will have to take pictures and fill out a claim but they will send you everything to repair them. That is what I did.

3. Member
    If you dont replace the spindle sleeve at same time they will leak.

4. Member
    Try using a Timken #470460 seal, replace the wear sleeve on the spindle UFP #33522 and o ring for under the wear sleeve UFP #32736. A lot of these seals and bearing that these trailer supply places sell are no name Chinese junk. I can guarantee you Dexter isn’t using the highest quality bearings and seals in their axles. When it comes to bearings and seals you need to use high quality components, from a reputable bearing and seal manufacturers.

5. Member
    https://www.finditparts.com/products/477906/timken-470460

Timken seals are manufactured in Taiwan. I imagine Dexter/ UFP seals are also manufactured in Asia but I have had zero issues with Dexter/ UFP components.

Lightning 6
    2007 TR-196DC

6. Member
    Had one go on me earlier this summer at 2.5 years. We had been on some rough roads in northern Manitoba so that may have contributed somehow.

7. Member
    I have made a few trips up north and the roads are a mess. Trailers take a absolute beating in NY. So that did cross my mind as to a cause for them to fail so soon.
    2019 Phoenix 920

Two years ago, I took a trip down through OK to north TX. The road conditions were the worst I've ever seen. Got home and happened to notice two seals leaking on my tandem trailer. No doubt in my mind that some of those potholes and uneven pavement took them out. I was surprised I hadn't bent a rim.
    There was a time that I didn't fish but I cannot remember it.

9. Member
    Timken has been a known, high quality bearing, and seal manufacturer for years. They have plants all over the world, but the bearings and seals are made to Timken’s standards. There are a lot of high quality manufacturers of bearings and seals, with plants in Asia, and abroad but the bearings are made to higher standards, then some no name brand bearing made in China. I’m not gonna skimp on the bearings and seals for any of my trailers, I will only use a brand that is known for high quality.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Laddertruck438 View Post
    I have made a few trips up north and the roads are a mess. Trailers take a absolute beating in NY. So that did cross my mind as to a cause for them to fail so soon.
    Not sure what roads you are referring to in NYS........maybe secondary roads but mostly I have found good road in NYS, not great but in over 45 years of towing I have never had a seal or bearing failure in NYS. Maybe I'm just lucky. And throughout those years I have only hand repack bearing 2 times. I do love the Dexter axle I have now so I guess pumping grease into zerk fittings does count as repack, right ? I also agree the VA roads are nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Macsimus View Post
    Two years ago, I took a trip down through OK to north TX. The road conditions were the worst I've ever seen. Got home and happened to notice two seals leaking on my tandem trailer. No doubt in my mind that some of those potholes and uneven pavement took them out. I was surprised I hadn't bent a rim.
    Worst roads I have ever been on from Missouri to Texas was Oklahoma. Got better goat paths in Missouri than highway in Oklahoma!! Changed my route and now pull my rig through Arkansas, beautiful scenery and better roads. Screw their toll roads and POS highways. I go around.

2020 Ranger 521L Tour, 300 Mercury, 112 Minn Kota Ultrex
    3 12" Helix Units, Mega Si, Mega Di, Mega 360, Garmin 8412 W LiveScope mounted on Rite Hite Turret.

12. Member
    [QUOTE= go around.[/QUOTE]

This is what I tell the guy on my butt as I'm driving anywhere. I make a circle motion with my trigger finger pointing up and say "Make a Circle and Go Around"..........LOL....................I HATE tailgaters unless it for football games.........LOL