Recommendations for remanufactured powerhead, or other suggestions?

Well, the 99 P200TLRX number 5 cylinder took a dump yesterday. Compression on all ok (97-103). Leak down and plug showed a different story. Leak down on all cylinders was around 25%, except #5 with 100%... Ugh. So, with truly unknown hours on this motor, I am leaning towards a short block replacement. Thoughts, board sponsor, or other suggestions?? Obviously not looking to spend a ton on this project if possible, I can do the swap easily enough myself. Thanks in advance.

2. Member
    You can buy a brand new powerhead from yamaha for that motor from L & M marine for around 5800. https://www.lmmarine.com/OEMpartfind...8e81724f60ae/y

3. Member
    Hydro Tec or Chris Carson marine. I have 4+ years on mine from HT. CJ
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

4. Member
    Was your original powerhead done? Or was it a swap CJ??

5. Member
    I purchased a blown up O/B. Took a chance and the block was bad. So HT built a 250hp powerhead up for me. I put their tuner/heads on it and a 250hp ECU after running it for a few months, they installed their reeds when it was built. So nothing of the original 225hp engine is left other than a few external parts. If the block was still good I could have done the work but the block/crank was the deal breaker for me to do it. CJ

6. Member
    Thanks CJ. I totally get it... I am still debating what to do...

7. Member
    IMHO, if you are mechanically inclined pull the head off. you may find detonation damage or just a stuck ring. Bore scope it if you can, they are under $100 and are handy to have. That would tell you alot more. If the bore is good, a set of pistons and rings, fix the reason WHY it failed and you are back in business. CJ