New to Lowrance - Help Please

I picked up my new boat on Monday. Fished with the boat for the first time today. I have the Lowrance 12” HDS Live units. One at the console and one at the bow. It also came with the Lowrance ActiveTarget transducer. The units are networked together…..for example……I can dim or brighten both units at one time form either unit.

I have had BIRDS for years but my new boat came with Lowrance so i am going to roll with them assuming I can get things figured out. Here are some of my questions:

(1) I have no depth at the console unit. I have played with the settings and sometimes it will pop up for a minute but then it goes away. I also have NO DEPTH when I am running on plane. The dealership has told me I have a 3-in-1 external transducer on the back of the boat for the console unit. They said that is a more expensive transducer but it will not provide high speed depth. However, it isn’t even providing low speed depth when idling.

(2) My dealer is telling me they don’t put through hull high speed transducers in their boats. I have spoken to a few people who have bought boats form this dealer within the last 2 years (Triton Boats as well…..same as mine) and their boats came with high speed through hull transducers. I understand they could have changed their process but I find it hard to believe that this wouldn’t be a standard part of the rigging. My questison is this……if they install one will it cause me any issues with the 3-in-1 transducer that they installed on the back of the hull?

(3) Someone was telling me that there is a page that provides the ideal settings for these units. Does anyone know where I can find those settings?

The 3n1 will provide 2D, SS, and DS sonar, but will loose bottom at speed due to mounting location hanging off the back of the transom (as will most transducers). But, it should read bottom at idle speeds. There a several folks much more knowledgeable than me that will come along shortly with better ideas, but I would first confirm source settings. The Lowrance unit should automatically identify the 3n1, but you should confirm the source of your screen/view or overlay - Settings > Network > Data Sources... Scroll down to Sonar and confirm the correct unit and transducer is selected for Water Temp and Depth.

For 2. - most manufacturers (or dealers I guess in some cases) install a thru-hull, which is usually required for depth readings at speed. You can typically have one installed if not already present, and assuming you are running somewhat current Lowrance units (Carbon, Live) they have two separate ports for sonar so no issues adding a 2nd transducer. This is actually the most common setup, a Thru-Hull or other 2D (like Airmar) on CH1 and a Structure Transducer like the LSS, 3DSS, or 3n1 or Totalscan on CH2. Honestly it sounds like your dealer just doesn't want to work in the bilge or run cabling, which is a bit suspect imo. Unless there is some reason not to run an additional 2D transducer alongside a 3n1 (so you would essentially have two 2D signals available) that I am not aware of...

For 3. - Bunch of videos on YT, but Forum member Colibri has a great resource site and is likely what is being referred to - https://teamcolibri.blogspot.com/202...nce-guide.html

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 78Staff View Post
    The 3n1 will provide 2D, SS, and DS sonar, but will loose bottom at speed due to mounting location hanging off the back of the transom (as will most transducers). But, it should read bottom at idle speeds. There a several folks much more knowledgeable than me that will come along shortly with better ideas, but I would first confirm source settings. The Lowrance unit should automatically identify the 3n1, but you should confirm the source of your screen/view or overlay - Settings > Network > Data Sources... Scroll down to Sonar and confirm the correct unit and transducer is selected for Water Temp and Depth.

For 2. - most manufacturers (or dealers I guess in some cases) install a thru-hull, which is usually required for depth readings at speed. You can typically have one installed if not already present, and assuming you are running somewhat current Lowrance units (Carbon, Live) they have two separate ports for sonar so no issues adding a 2nd transducer. This is actually the most common setup, a Thru-Hull or other 2D (like Airmar) on CH1 and a Structure Transducer like the LSS, 3DSS, or 3n1 or Totalscan on CH2. Honestly it sounds like your dealer just doesn't want to work in the bilge or run cabling, which is a bit suspect imo. Unless there is some reason not to run an additional 2D transducer alongside a 3n1 (so you would essentially have two 2D signals available) that I am not aware of...

For 3. - Bunch of videos on YT, but Forum member Colibri has a great resource site and is likely what is being referred to - https://teamcolibri.blogspot.com/202...nce-guide.html
    Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated.

4. Member
    I had birds for years and now own a Lowrance unit. There is a stack of videos on YouTube to help you set your unit up to get the best results. I also thought Lowrance units were hard to work after using Humminbird, but now realise doing some homework on them, they’re very easy to operate. Good luck

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Estuary View Post
    I had birds for years and now own a Lowrance unit. There is a stack of videos on YouTube to help you set your unit up to get the best results. I also thought Lowrance units were hard to work after using Humminbird, but now realise doing some homework on them, they’re very easy to operate. Good luck
    thanks

6. Member
    You can install a PD-WBL shoot thru pod from Lowrance every MFG will install them when ordered and if you need one installed there are plenty of dealers or DIYers put them in. Pretty simple but you get one chance to do it right the first time. You have to setup eat transducer in the unit under Pages/Settings/Sonar and make sure everything is turned on correctly in the sonar settings. If you dealer can't do that for you fire him and find someone else or PM me if you want to be walked through the setup. Good luck Everything you need to know is in the Quick Start Book for your unit.

7. Member
    Welcome to the Lowrance page. You will find a ton of help here. One suggestion would be to use the search function whenever you have a specific question and want to learn how to solve the issue. Another suggestion is to subscribe to my YouTube channel (search my name on YouTube) where you will find a lot of helpful information on using your units (and Active Target). These units do a ton of stuff, much which is not used except by the most hardcore electronics users, but you will find they work great and in most cases the software makes all the adjustments your need to get quality images.
    ciao,
    Marc