Thread: Luke 12: 49-53

Luke 12: 49-53

“I came to send fire on the earth, and how I wish it were already kindled! But I have a baptism to be baptized with, and how distressed I am till it is accomplished! Do you suppose that I came to give peace on earth? I tell you, not at all, but rather division. For from now on five in one house will be divided: three against two, and two against three. Father will be divided against son and son against father, mother against daughter and daughter against mother, mother-in-law against her daughter-in-law and daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law.”
    A similar teaching is found in Matt 10: 35.

I have heard some people trying to apply this statement made by Jesus as to what is going on in our current times with all the contention and disagreements going on in our society at large; Yet, these individuals have failed to truly understand that Jesus is talking about the strife of differences His teaching will create between believers and non believes in Christ, even among the closest of family members.
    Jesus followed many of the mandated traditions, yet He steered clear of any politics or contentious laws by the Jews or Romans without breaking of said laws, which we find when Peter was asked if Jesus paid the tribute tax by a collector, to which Jesus instructed him to cast a hook into the sea catching a fish that had a piece of money paying for whatever tax it was due. It saddens me to see some, who may even consider themselves scholarly in the Word, trying to distort Christ's words to fit their narratives.

Be ware of wolves in sheep's clothing.

2. Member
    Truth! You will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free.

Great post Frank.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

3. Member
    Great verse. Division in the world, but not in the church. Accept His message or don't. Easy dividing line
    2012 Ranger Z521 2023 Mercury 250 Pro XS