How shallow can I launch a rt178 ranger in?

Was interested in getting a smaller boat like the rt178. How shallow can I launch I rt178 ranger in? How much of a difference with a 75hp vs a 60hp motor
    ChueFu Lee

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Do you mean to get the boat off the trailer? Or how shallow of water the boat will float in?

3. Member
    Get it to plane. . I wanna fish shallow, and I want to move around fast, Can I plane in a foot of water?
    Last edited by LookingforFish; 09-18-2022 at 10:56 PM.
    ChueFu Lee

4. Member
    I would guess you could run in 2ft, if you had your brave pants on, but probably 3ft to actually get on plane. I suppose if it was a mud bottom you could be braver than a rock bottom. The boat will float in a foot or so for actual fishing. Sounds like you need an air boat.

5. Member
    My PT190 fully loaded drafts 12" at the stern at rest. To get a hole shot I want 5' of water under me to allow for the lower unit and "squat".

You're not going to run on plane in a foot of water, at least not very far
    2018 Tracker Pro Team 190 TX
    115 Mercury Pro XS 4S

6. Banned
    Guys you can easily run in one foot of water with a prop engine. As long as your not worried about hitting something hard sticking off the bottom. As for getting on plane 3' is plenty of water as long as the bottom isn't hard.

7. Member
    This is an interesting thread as I have found myself trolling and drifting way back onto shallow flats and then wondering really how much (depth) of water I needed to pop up on plane and move so I wouldn't waste so much time having to troll out. I believe there is a technique that some bass fisherman use that involves popping up the boat on plane in a pretty sharp turn. I don't know maybe in a turn minimizes how far down the stern squats or maybe it is just a technique when you don't have far in straight line to use to get up on plane and really has no advantage about depth. Some of you long time bass boat operator chime in about this. Is there a technique like I describe to get up on plane safer in shallow water? Thanks

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ChooChooSnakeMan View Post
    This is an interesting thread as I have found myself trolling and drifting way back onto shallow flats and then wondering really how much (depth) of water I needed to pop up on plane and move so I wouldn't waste so much time having to troll out. I believe there is a technique that some bass fisherman use that involves popping up the boat on plane in a pretty sharp turn. I don't know maybe in a turn minimizes how far down the stern squats or maybe it is just a technique when you don't have far in straight line to use to get up on plane and really has no advantage about depth. Some of you long time bass boat operator chime in about this. Is there a technique like I describe to get up on plane safer in shallow water? Thanks
    There is several ways to get up really quick. One way if I have space I will turn my boat all the way to the starboard side idling but moving and get the boat pointed pointed approx. 90 degrees from where I want to go and then turn all the way to the port and power up full throttle. Boat will rotate and come up on plane really quick just straighten out once it starts to break over and go.
    Another way is to have my co angler sit on the front deck facing the motor while going straight as soon as the boat starts to break over on pad they just slide back into their seat. It keeps the bow from raising and gets on pad really good in a short distance.
    Another way is to know the bottom and if it is just mud then just go.
    I have ran my boat thru places that won't get the knees of a crane wet and that is a 520c. Just got to know the bottom and go. The biggest problem is knowing where to stop. Running is the easy part but you will need a couple foot of depth to get back on pad once you stop.

9. Member
    I can do 3ft in my ranger rt198 fully loaded. I sold that boat. little to big for. I'm pretty sure I can plane more shallow with a rt178. Was actually hoping someone who owns a rt178 would chime in.
    ChueFu Lee

10. Member
    If you are really wanting that kind of performance a flats boat will get you there. Also choosing prop for getting on plane at the expense of efficiency and speed will help most boats. I know a hi five prop brings a boat up on plane quick and keeps the stern lifted.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassfriend View Post
    There is several ways to get up really quick. One way if I have space I will turn my boat all the way to the starboard side idling but moving and get the boat pointed pointed approx. 90 degrees from where I want to go and then turn all the way to the port and power up full throttle. Boat will rotate and come up on plane really quick just straighten out once it starts to break over and go.
    Another way is to have my co angler sit on the front deck facing the motor while going straight as soon as the boat starts to break over on pad they just slide back into their seat. It keeps the bow from raising and gets on pad really good in a short distance.
    Another way is to know the bottom and if it is just mud then just go.
    I have ran my boat thru places that won't get the knees of a crane wet and that is a 520c. Just got to know the bottom and go. The biggest problem is knowing where to stop. Running is the easy part but you will need a couple foot of depth to get back on pad once you stop.
    Growing up as a new angler on Santee Cooper you are correct.

12. Member
    There is only a couple hundred pounds difference in the 188, but the back deck is identical. In your situation, I'd get a 60 jet and jack plate. A 60 is 150# lighter. With my X7, I can get up in 3 feet while the wheel is hard over to the right.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver