Water intrusion trailer bearings

As the title implies I have one axle on my boat trailer that is getting milky, the other side seems to be staying free of water. What can I do to reduce water intrusion into my hubs? I have std easy lube hubs with regular press on caps and the rubber cap in the center. I do have newer kodiak surge disc brakes that heat my hubs up to around 135 degrees after a long drive.
    2005 Nitro NX 882
    2002 Mercury 175 EFI

2. Member
    If you have what I think you do, I have had them on a trailer sometime ago. I solved my
    problem by replacing the dust cap with a bearing buddy type. I removed the grease fitting in the end of the spindle. Put enough grease in it to keep pressure on the bearing to keep water out.
    2019 Phoenix 919 Pro XP
    225 Mercury 4 Stroke ProXS (# 2B591262)
    MinnKota Ultrex trolling motor
    Lowrance HDS Carbons

3. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    EZ Lube hubs aren’t sealed, so I don’t think it’s possible to keep water out. How often do you grease them?
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

4. Member
    I keep them greased pretty regularly, I just noticed that they continually look milky. I will then pump new grease and force the milky stuff out. Seems like a continued waste of grease
    2005 Nitro NX 882
    2002 Mercury 175 EFI

5. Member
    You have a bad rear seal, should not have to grease on a regular basis, I give my bearings a pump or two once or twice a year, just enough to bring the plunger out a bit.

6. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FrancoCialone View Post
    You have a bad rear seal, should not have to grease on a regular basis, I give my bearings a pump or two once or twice a year, just enough to bring the plunger out a bit.
    You misunderstand how EZ Lube bearings work. No plunger and they need to be regularly greased to flush out old grease. Totally different from sealed bearings like Bearing Buddies.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

7. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    I was going through this with my easy lube system also finally got so tired of replacing the torn rubber plugs and cheesy caps I took them off and got bearing buddies to go over them, now after flushing out the old grease I filled the void with extra grease and put the bearing buddy on now no problem. When i need to service again I will remove the BB and flush the system and put the BB back on problem solved no grease leaking out or getting milky all the time
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by twitch View Post
    I was going through this with my easy lube system also finally got so tired of replacing the torn rubber plugs and cheesy caps I took them off and got bearing buddies to go over them, now after flushing out the old grease I filled the void with extra grease and put the bearing buddy on now no problem. When i need to service again I will remove the BB and flush the system and put the BB back on problem solved no grease leaking out or getting milky all the time

I guess I could just leave the easy lube grease zerks intact, put the bearing buddy caps on and call it a day....essentially I would just use the bearing buddy grease zerks to fill the axle at that point
    2005 Nitro NX 882
    2002 Mercury 175 EFI