Thread: UFP A-60 Issue

UFP A-60 Brake Actuator Issue

My brakes / wheels on my Bass Cat trailer got extremely hot on the last fishing trip (extremely hot to touch and you could smell the burning type smell). After I got home, I checked the brake fluid and found that the reservoir was basically empty. I found a hose issue near one of the wheels that looks like it ruptured so I replaced the hose. Then I re-filled the reservoir but I can not get the fluid to flow to the wheel brakes now. I removed the hose connection 1 ft behind the A-60 actuator and cannot get any fluid to come out. I am using the screwdriver "stroke" technique and all that is happening is that I am getting a large squirt of fluid coming out the top of the vent plug on the actuator. I have cranked on this thing for at least 10 straight minutes and nothing coming out the hose going to the brakes, just the squirt of fluid out of the plug hole. The A-60 is only 3-4 years old. Any ideas?
    Last edited by Cajun Skeeter; 09-16-2022 at 10:38 PM.

2. Member
    Sounds like you’ve got a clog in that short section of brake line or somewhere in the actuator. When I bought my boat the master cylinder was in rough shape. It had a gel type substance in it that would clog it up. Apparently that brake fluid can get pretty nasty if not completely sealed to the environment.

My guess is that when you were braking one time on your last trip, the trailer brakes got applied, then some gunk got dislodged within the master cylinder and clogged the system so no brake fluid could flow back into the master cylinder. This would keep your brakes applied and account for the burning smell and heat. Then eventually the pressure ruptured your brake line releasing your brakes and all of your brake fluid.

I would maybe try draining all the brake fluid from the master cylinder and hit it with some compressed air to try and clear the blockage.

3. Member
    UPF calipers are known to lock up the brakes and heat up and trash the seals.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dabassking View Post
    Sounds like you’ve got a clog in that short section of brake line or somewhere in the actuator. When I bought my boat the master cylinder was in rough shape. It had a gel type substance in it that would clog it up. Apparently that brake fluid can get pretty nasty if not completely sealed to the environment.

My guess is that when you were braking one time on your last trip, the trailer brakes got applied, then some gunk got dislodged within the master cylinder and clogged the system so no brake fluid could flow back into the master cylinder. This would keep your brakes applied and account for the burning smell and heat. Then eventually the pressure ruptured your brake line releasing your brakes and all of your brake fluid.

I would maybe try draining all the brake fluid from the master cylinder and hit it with some compressed air to try and clear the blockage.
    I pulled the actuator and disconnected the hose right at the solenoid. It seems like the actuator will pump "forward" now as I am getting some fluid out when I pump it. I think that the first 2' of brake hose is plugged.

Also make sure that the master cylinder is bled. If the cylinder has gone dry it will lose its prime.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

6. Member
    All fixed now....new hose right next to actuator to replace the one that was plugged. Replaced blown seal on 1 side and broken brake pad on the other side.