Thread: Food Plots

Food Plots

So we have disced all our plots and the ground is in pretty good shape, really ready to plant. This year I'm thinking about just passing a harrow on it before planting (we usually disc again). My thoughts are to conserve moisture by harrowing rather than discing. Any thoughts on this way? Planting wheat, rye and oats.

We will be covering and rolling plots after planting.
    All sheep are eventually led to slaughter

2. Member
    If it's about ready to plant currently, why waste the effort to disc it again? Are you fertilizing? Unless it looks like hardpan now I don't see any benefit.

3. Member
    We always just plowed the land and threw the seed in on top. Most of it was on thick woods though.

Wish we could do that…. Our land has such low ph we need to disc in 4K of lime per acre most every year and because of where our plots are we can’t use Ag lime so stuck using pelletized. Doing that tomorrow, the we start the rain dances so we can get seed in the ground.
    "When My Ship Comes In, I will Probably Be At The Airport"
    USAF Retired

5. Member
    We put out a ton of lime to the acre this year. All plots were disced twice already and we will put fertilizer out when planting. We have always disced again right before planting to plant on a fresh bed. I'm concerned about going into a dry spell so i'm trying to conserve moisture.
    All sheep are eventually led to slaughter