Fast or EX-fast for jigs

Do you prefer a fast or ex-fast tip for a jig pitching rod ? 7'- 7'3" length for 1/4-3/4 jig range.

2. Scraps
    I think some will say for jig fishing the stiffer blank gets stuck more often. Also depends on the mfr as far as what is fast or x-fast. Myself personally I think x-fast is better around this area where fishing around grass is a thing.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

3. Member
    Completely agree with krindgen regarding the manufacturer. I currently am using a Megabass Levante Perfect Pitch which is listed as an extra fast, but in my opinion it handles more like a moderate fast to fast. The same can be said for the Megabass Destroyer P5 X-Bites. It's also listed as an extra fast. I prefer a rod that has a crisp tip but one that bends a little deeper into the blank. The Perfect Pitch and X-Bites fit those criteria for me. I owned an older St. Croix Legend Extreme that was an extra fast and didn't like it at all. It had a very fast tip and transitioned into the backbone very quickly and it just didn't suit me. As with a lot of things in fishing, a lot of it boils down to personal preference.

I don’t see a need for extra-fast, fast is my go to.

5. Member
    I prefer fast myself for pitching, actually prefer mod-mod/fast for flippin' and punching.

Fast for me. Extra fast is to much going on. I’d rather have a little more flex down the blank than not.
    24’Bass Cat Puma Sts-300 Proxs
    23’Gatortrax Gt tunnel hull-200 Suzuki

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by coreynov902 View Post
    Completely agree with krindgen regarding the manufacturer. I currently am using a Megabass Levante Perfect Pitch which is listed as an extra fast, but in my opinion it handles more like a moderate fast to fast. The same can be said for the Megabass Destroyer P5 X-Bites. It's also listed as an extra fast. I prefer a rod that has a crisp tip but one that bends a little deeper into the blank. The Perfect Pitch and X-Bites fit those criteria for me. I owned an older St. Croix Legend Extreme that was an extra fast and didn't like it at all. It had a very fast tip and transitioned into the backbone very quickly and it just didn't suit me. As with a lot of things in fishing, a lot of it boils down to personal preference.
    Thanks.The Legend Xtreme was the exact rod I had in mind for posing this question.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jiggerjake View Post
    Thanks.The Legend Xtreme was the exact rod I had in mind for posing this question.
    Just so you know, the one I owned was the first gen model. I know they've reworked the newer model so it may be different.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by coreynov902 View Post
    Just so you know, the one I owned was the first gen model. I know they've reworked the newer model so it may be different.
    I may just go for the 7' MH F version to be safe.

10. Scraps
    I may just go for the 7' MH F version to be safe.
    My take with my Powell's, as you increase in rod length, a 7-3 rod labeled as X-fast can feel more like a fast due to the added length. My all-purpose Endurance 733 extra fast is like this, softer tip than what I'd expect in an x-fast. So that 7' MH you're debating is likely a little stiffer than the same action in a 7-3. I've grown to like the 7-3 in place of what used to be my all purpose 7' rods.
    2017 Phoenix 819

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by krindgen View Post
    My take with my Powell's, as you increase in rod length, a 7-3 rod labeled as X-fast can feel more like a fast due to the added length. My all-purpose Endurance 733 extra fast is like this, softer tip than what I'd expect in an x-fast. So that 7' MH you're debating is likely a little stiffer than the same action in a 7-3. I've grown to like the 7-3 in place of what used to be my all purpose 7' rods.
    Thanks.The other rod I'm considering is a NRX 873 listed as fast. I have a 853 ex-fast that I like for t-rigs and don't particularly notice the rods taper on hook sets.Would like to see the Legend Xtreme in a 7'3" fast.

12. Scraps
    Thanks.The other rod I'm considering is a NRX 873 listed as fast. I have a 853 ex-fast that I like for t-rigs and don't particularly notice the rods taper on hook sets.Would like to see the Legend Xtreme in a 7'3" fast.
    Can't see going wrong with either - buy bof'em.
    2017 Phoenix 819

13. Member
    I'd say the 873C is a little bit slower than a fast. It's strangely parabolic, and that makes it an incredible bottom contact rod in my opinion.

I say fast. I hear a lot of customer complain about losing fish with XFast actions. Hookup ratios are good. Feel is good. Doesn't help getting them in the boat.

A fast action will load deeper into the blank when under load. Fast is a good balance.

Makes sense if you look at the physics of it.