2 stroke or 4 stroke

Ok May be dumb question but you know what they say about the only dumb question!

ok I have a 2015 250 pro XS 2 stroke only about 150 hours, it has run flawlessly, I am considering moving to a 4 stroke just to move to a 4 stroke and get the new warranty. I haven’t been keeping up with info on the new 4 stroke engines so I haven’t heard the pro and cons of them other than the obvious, I am asking more like problems with them, service on them, power vs 2 stroke items like this……….is it a good move to go to the 4 stroke or keep the engine I know has 7 years of flawless performance?

Unless you can find a dealer that has one already on order, you will be waiting 52+ weeks for a new motor. The 150 FS has been out a while and is rock solid.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

3. Member
    that engine is a great engine and will last 20+ yrs likely if properly maintained of course
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by harrys View Post
    Ok May be dumb question but you know what they say about the only dumb question!

ok I have a 2015 250 pro XS 2 stroke only about 150 hours, it has run flawlessly, I am considering moving to a 4 stroke just to move to a 4 stroke and get the new warranty. I haven’t been keeping up with info on the new 4 stroke engines so I haven’t heard the pro and cons of them other than the obvious, I am asking more like problems with them, service on them, power vs 2 stroke items like this……….is it a good move to go to the 4 stroke or keep the engine I know has 7 years of flawless performance?
    While I am now running a ProXs 4 stroke, I ran a Optimax for 12 years and 300+ hours with "0" issues. Only question was buying overpriced DFI oil.Re-power? Why?
    Jim
    Old Guy
    2021 Z19 Pro

5. Member
    Your 250 Opti is arguably faster than a new Merc 4-stroke.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikes250r View Post
    Your 250 Opti is arguably faster than a new Merc 4-stroke.
    and gets better fuel mileage also
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    MAGA

7. mikesxpress
    Harry repowering to the V8 is a good choice. I did it for the same reasoning, warranty. You also ditch the DFI oil/tank, no BS engine compressor, and the V8 100 hour service reduces your average maintenance costs. Your Opti is also worth quite a few $ as folks are looking for them.

I will give a little different perspective for you to consider. I currently have a 250 ProXS 2 Stroke, 2016, purchased new in August of 2015 so just past the 7 year mark as well. Mine dropped cylinder #2 in late February at 498 hours and dealer replaced with a remanufactured powerhead from Mercury under warranty. This powerhead dropped cylinder #5 this past Saturday with 23 hours on the powerhead. Motor has been well cared for and maintained but it happened and happened again after only 23 hours on the replacement. I'm hoping the 12 month warranty on the reman'd powerhead will cover it's replacement but still awaiting word. Not a great situation to be in and the downtime is almost as painful as the potential costs due to my kids participating on high school bass fishing teams.
    I have been very happy with the outboard and as others have said, these should last a long time, but, some do not and it seems once this happens it's a slow downhill path with no real great solution, particularly from the cost perspective. So, as you consider when and how to spend your money, I would recommend looking long and hard at a 4 stroke and maybe even across all brands to ensure you get the best bang for the buck. Your motor should run over 1000 hours and hopefully last 20 years as posted above; however, when it doesn't, the shoulds do not matter. Warranty and getting away from the Opti compressor and oil injection is not a bad deal, if it's within your budget.

Basscat Eyra
    Mercury 250 ProXS

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckTR21 View Post
    I will give a little different perspective for you to consider. I currently have a 250 ProXS 2 Stroke, 2016, purchased new in August of 2015 so just past the 7 year mark as well. Mine dropped cylinder #2 in late February at 498 hours and dealer replaced with a remanufactured powerhead from Mercury under warranty. This powerhead dropped cylinder #5 this past Saturday with 23 hours on the powerhead. Motor has been well cared for and maintained but it happened and happened again after only 23 hours on the replacement. I'm hoping the 12 month warranty on the reman'd powerhead will cover it's replacement but still awaiting word. Not a great situation to be in and the downtime is almost as painful as the potential costs due to my kids participating on high school bass fishing teams.
    I have been very happy with the outboard and as others have said, these should last a long time, but, some do not and it seems once this happens it's a slow downhill path with no real great solution, particularly from the cost perspective. So, as you consider when and how to spend your money, I would recommend looking long and hard at a 4 stroke and maybe even across all brands to ensure you get the best bang for the buck. Your motor should run over 1000 hours and hopefully last 20 years as posted above; however, when it doesn't, the shoulds do not matter. Warranty and getting away from the Opti compressor and oil injection is not a bad deal, if it's within your budget.

That's a topic for a separate thread- but if a part (such as a reman powerhead) is installed under Warranty or Product Protection Plans, it ASSUMES the remainder of the engine's coverage (does not extend the coverage term... even if it's only one day).

4-stroke models are overall going to be considerably more durable in the long run.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

10. Member
    First of all, Mercury 4-strokes no longer suck. The V8 platform is great.

Second, you already have a great engine. Until those V8s came out, the 250XS was the one to beat.

So this will come down to

Reasons to buy new engine:
    * V8 sounds much better than Optimax
    * You don’t need to fill 2-stroke oil (but you do need to make oil changes)
    * It is always fun to buy a new engine

Reasons to keep old engine:
    * If you have spent some time finding the right propeller for your current engine, you need to put in that effort again
    * The 7 year warranty is not worth the difference between what you will pay for a new engine and what you get if you sell your old engine. Particularly since you have only put 150 hours on the current engine over 7 years
    * This overheated economy is not the right time to buy anything

I have a pair of 300xs. Lovely engines, except for the sound. If a pair of used 300R show up a great price, I will consider them. Until then, I keep what I have.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jboutfishn View Post
    While I am now running a ProXs 4 stroke, I ran a Optimax for 12 years and 300+ hours with "0" issues. Only question was buying overpriced DFI oil.Re-power? Why?
    totally disagree went from 2 to 4 and my 521 runs 72 mph and jumps out of the hole. Best ever with the 2 was 68 and I am here to tell you it is a different boat with the 4 when I say different handles better. And when running 72 you can have a conversation with you partner the 4 s is no joke.
    2017 521c 2022 Mercury ProXS 250 4S

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
    totally disagree went from 2 to 4 and my 521 runs 72 mph and jumps out of the hole. Best ever with the 2 was 68 and I am here to tell you it is a different boat with the 4 when I say different handles better.
    Then you most likely had the wrong propeller with the previous engine.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Boatmechanic View Post
    Then you most likely had the wrong propeller with the previous engine.
    nope had the perfect propeller and tried 6 different ones, not bashing my 2s as it was a very strong dependable motor. I am just here to tell you that the 4s is in my opinion no comparison to the the 2s, 4 s wins hands down in my book. Just a totally different boat with the 4s all for the better.

14. Member
    What engine did you have before the ProXS?

You will not see a 4 mph increase at the top combined with better hole shot and better handling unless something is wrong with the setup.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
    totally disagree went from 2 to 4 and my 521 runs 72 mph and jumps out of the hole. Best ever with the 2 was 68 and I am here to tell you it is a different boat with the 4 when I say different handles better. And when running 72 you can have a conversation with you partner the 4 s is no joke.
    17 and 18 250proxs were getting detuned by merc was likely issue
    MAGA

16. Member
    AA12B955-388E-4BED-AECE-9D1D3FF269FE.jpeg

not going to argue boatmechanic I know what I know and my boat ran as good if not better that any other 521 with a pro xs 2 s and mine was not de-tuned as it was a 16, was even told by a Mercury factory tech at an event I was getting everything out of it that I could with my boat and load. I thought the 2 s was very strong until I put the 4 s on. No comparison period end of story.

the4s is a beast!!!
    Last edited by Bummer; 09-25-2022 at 01:25 PM.

17. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    What engine did you have before the ProXS?

You will not see a 4 mph increase at the top combined with better hole shot and better handling unless something is wrong with the setup.
    Sorry... I'm gonna have to disagree with you on that. If it's an identical boat other than engine and setup, it's going to do VERY well once PROPERLY set up in most cases.

The ones having trouble are most often falling victim to 250+ lbs tacked onto the bow of the boat.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

18. Member
    72 mph seems to where a Ranger 521 with 250 hp should be.

Even guys with Evinrudes were able to get there.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=796462

19. Member
    72 mph seems to where a Ranger 521 with 250 hp should be.

Even guys with Evinrudes were able to get there.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=796462
    I have actually had mine to 72 with no gas in tank by myself and no gear with the 2s , it now runs 72 all day long with full gear and live wells full no bs and with easy on the 4 s