300XS Mercury 3.2 Stroker

I believe this is the correct section for this motor. I’ve had several Mercury’s over the years, 225 & 250’s Optimax and ProXS, most recent 250 Pro XS4S. Looking at a boat with the 300XS 3.2 stroker and trying find information on the engine. Reading it sounds like it’s more efficient than 300X. I understand it would be much more power than any of my previous boats, and probably less efficient on fuel, I just don’t want to be able to watch the gauge drop. Motor I’m looking at is 2013 with 210 hours.

Any information is appreciated.
    Rad Brewer

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Massively more efficient than the 300X.

Very similar to the 250 ProXS Optimax... it's stroked, different heads/pistons, different calibration, throttle plate and attenuator cover (ignoring differences below powerhead, of course).

In general, I would expect approximately a 10% increase in fuel consumption over the 250 Optimax (same boat/setup).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Massively more efficient than the 300X.

Very similar to the 250 ProXS Optimax... it's stroked, different heads/pistons, different calibration, throttle plate and attenuator cover (ignoring differences below powerhead, of course).

In general, I would expect approximately a 10% increase in fuel consumption over the 250 Optimax (same boat/setup).
    Thank You Don. I appreciate the information.
    Rad Brewer

4. Member
    Pm sent

5. Kllr bee
    I bought one new in 2010. I am not easy on a motor. My moto is run hard and put up wet. It has had to have one coil and an air pump. BUY IT before it's gone. Best and fastest motor I have ever had.
    Richard aka Kllr Bee

6. Member
    I bought a 2013 right at a year ago on a 24' Checkmate bowrider sport/performance boat. Motor has been great, did have one air injector replaced and have a small leak on the oil pump under the cowling but its minor and i'll fix it this winter.

As far as performance, I'm running a 24' Tempest Plus, At approx 35 mph i'm getting 10 to 11 gph, to me this seems quite reasonable, this i believe is slightly over 3k RPMs. Now if i increase the speed if starts using fuel at a much higher rate. With the price of premium fuel on the water at Lake Texoma this summer, i didn't open it up as often as I would normally.

7. Member
    strong engines
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................