VMC Crossover Rings

Honestly the best new piece of terminal tackle that's come around in years. I fished a wacky Senko last Saturday and went through 2 baits both casting and skipping docks. Probably 20 fish. IMO you don't need the tool, I just spread them with a pair of needle nose pliers.

2. Member
    I agree they are very nice. I got the tool and like it as well.

3. Member
    At 45 cents a pop, is it worth it versus just crossing two o rings over?

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnybass View Post
    I've been using them for the past two trips so probably 9 days of fishing for both wacky and neko and haven't lost one or had one break yet. I feel like probably worth it just in that I'm going through fewer baits than with Orings or tubing which I was mostly using before this. If you do cast off a bait because it's worn the ring is still on your hook.

How accurate is their suggested sizing? I've heard people say you should size down at least 1 mm from their recommendations. Does that fit with what your experience has been?
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    How accurate is their suggested sizing? I've heard people say you should size down at least 1 mm from their recommendations. Does that fit with what your experience has been?
    I used the 5mm for Neko on 7" Roboworms and Bizz Dizzy Diamonds and 6mm for 5" Senkos. The 6mm might have been a little tight for a Senko but I don't think it caused any problems. I did have a fish pull out a Roboworm on a 6mm but that was it.

7. Member
    After using the different sizes I use the 4mm for most everything except the fattest worms. That size keeps the worm on. You'll need the tool for this. And yes, I think they are worth it.

8. Member
    They are great for wacky rigging. Still go through a lot of senkos, but not nearly as many even using o rings.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

9. Member
    Nice indeed.
    Nitro z21

Just to add to this thread a bit:

I grabbed some 6 mm to try them out. I agree with willwork: While they fit a 5" Senko, they're pretty tight. That might be a good thing as I think they're wide enough not to cut the bait in half like a tight o-ring will, and they're definitely tight enough to where you won't sling the bait off. I still kind of think it might impact the action a bit with causing the bait to sort of fold in half on the pull, and suspect you might see some reduced durability due them being tight and putting more stress on the bait than it might if it's looser. It remains to be seen whether that's offset by slinging more baits off with a bigger size.

I'll be trying the 7 mm to see how they fit the Senko and some other thicker worms I'm tinkering with. Comparing to reviews I've seen on TW and others, I actually wonder if they've stepped back their actual sizes from where they were to improve their size/bait recommendations. The early consensus there was that you absolutely had to downsize at least 1 mm from their suggestions, and I'm not sure I agree with that now.

I'm impressed with how stretchy and strong they are. They're definitely spendy at 45 cents a piece, but echoing the sentiments above, I could see them outlasting several baits. It's going to take some doing to wear one out, and I can't imagine how you'd lose one without it ripping unless you're using barbless hooks or something.

FWIW, I think 6 mm is probably the size to get if you're only going to get one size. Seems like it could work for a bunch of different baits.

I appreciate the suggestion!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"

11. Member
    I carry 6mm & 7mm for 5 inch Senkos. If the fish are being nippy I will use the 6mm rings since it's tighter just have to use the tool to put them on I can put a 7mm ring on without it. I have had several instances(especially when I first started using them) where fish have pulled the worm clean out of the 7mm rings lol.

12. Member
    7mm size on a senko type bait looks great. However, they are too big and will slide off when fish pull on either end of the bait. Go with 6mm!

Updating again: I can confirm that the 5 mm are perfect for a Trick Worm. They grip securely, but not too tight.

Grabbed some 7 mm but haven't tried them yet. Even if they are too big for a Senko, there are some thicker baits I've been using that I think will work well with the 7.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnybass View Post

JB, my experience with the crossover value isn't in the cost per ring, its in the extended life of a GYM Senko, which is $.75 per bait. The crossover bands because of their width, don't dig into the soft plastic of the worm like the rings do. The narrow width of the rings make them "sharp" to the soft plastic and they start to cut into the worm, shortening the life of the worms. And with the CO bands, you don't get pull offs on bites that grab the plastic/not the hook, nor do you get fall offs of a worm while bringing a bass to the boat on the retrieve.

If you cross o-rings, first it is a PIA to do compared to the crossover bands and the double o-rings are something you have to keep an eye while you are fishing to make sure they stay in place so they don't mess with your hook position/angle and second putting two o-rings on is going to cost you $.20 + per depending on which company you use for o-rings. The $.20 difference in cost to upgrade to the crossover bands is more than paid for in the extended life of the much more expensive stick baits you will go through when using o-rings. Not to mention, the best part of the crossover bands, is how well it positions your hook when fishing wacky rigs. I can't recall the last time I failed to hook up on bite on a wacky rig using the crossover rings. The hook position on the crossover band is literally perfect (perpendicular to the bait).

Lastly, and this may just be a me thing, but you eliminate the hassle of trying to maintain the screw position on the o-ring tube, that inevitably comes loose and falls off and all your o-rings go rolling over the deck of your boat. This alone is worth the $.20 upgrade cost... :-)

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    Updating again: I can confirm that the 5 mm are perfect for a Trick Worm. They grip securely, but not too tight.

Grabbed some 7 mm but haven't tried them yet. Even if they are too big for a Senko, there are some thicker baits I've been using that I think will work well with the 7.
    The Size 7mm are perfect for a GYM 5" Senko. That is the size I use on 5" stick baits.

16. Member
    I bought some of the VMC rings when they first came out and had issues with them breaking. Maybe they were a bad batch. I did use a VMC ring on a friends boat the other day and it lasted all day. Do they work better than heat shrink tubing? I've been using clear heat shrink tubing for several years. 3/8" works great on a 5" Senko. You can adjust the tension with how long you heat them with a lighter.