went to replace stats and none installed?

1988 Mariner Mag II 150
    OB384013

Have been overheating after long idle so went to install new thermostats and found that the bodies of the old ones had been cut off leaving only the stat head and gasket on both sides. No idea how long it’s been like this but guessing a long time based on the condition of the stat heads and gaskets.

So my question is why would someone run without any thermostats? And is there any chance that not having thermostats was causing it to overheat after a long idle?

On a positive note, new poppet works great, scoops raised my water pressure from 10 to 17 WOT, advance module removed, and link and sync done, just need to set my timing tomorrow.

Thanks!
    Willie
    Last edited by chillywillie; 09-13-2022 at 12:28 AM.

2. Member
    answer ;;;; they dont know any better , yes it could ;;;;;;/they prob wonder why antifreeze mix cools better than straight water------ slow and steady
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    Unfortunately that didn’t correct the overheating after longer idle. Just going to work around that for the rest of the year then she’s going to Mercury genius Dennis Berry over the winter for a freshen up and full going through.

4. Member
    always start at pump if gearcase was having trouble with water supply likely burned impeller
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................