Exclamation AGM battery with a stator charging system

First I want to say thank you to everyone that contributes to BassBoat Central. This is an amazing resource and continues to help us solve our boating issues especially those with older boats - THANK YOU!

I've had engine issues and some electrical issues with my live wells that just didn't make sense. I've change all my live well components and rewired everything but still saw the issues arise about 4 hours into my tournament day. At the same time I've had issues with my motor starting buy stalling immediately. I could quickly throttle down to keep the boat running and it ran well at any speed well above idle. Sometimes my engine wouldn't gain power when I throttle down or drop off for about 10 seconds on occassion as well. I've been addressing all the normal fuel issues without results - rebuild pulse pump, change fuel lines, filter, spark plugs, etc.

I starting doing more broad online searches and found some similarities to a bad voltage regulator. This led me to the issue using an AGM battery with a stator charging system on my 1996 175 EFI. I than checked my voltage regulator and found that it's wires were black and burnt. This along with all these issues happening at the same time lead me to believe I need to replace my battery and possibly both voltage regulators.

Looking for feedback from Don and Joe54 to see what they think.

Thanks again!
    2008 BassCat Puma with a Mercury 250 Pro XS / 1996 Champion 186 with a Mercury 175 EFI

2. Member
    I forgot to provide my serial number: 0G361770
    2008 BassCat Puma with a Mercury 250 Pro XS / 1996 Champion 186 with a Mercury 175 EFI

3. Member
    These voltage regulators are $260 each. Is it possible to test them and see if mine may still be okay or is it best to just replace both? See image of wires below. Thanks.
    image0-2.jpeg

4. Member
    any charging system problem question replace both with oem , new ones have fuse and seperate grnd wires
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Member
    Thx Joe. Do you know why the OEM voltage regulators are 3 to 4 times the cost of others? I ask mainly because I need to buy two plus a new battery.

6. Member
    no sir i dont i do know they will work and have thermal overload protection and out of probly 500 ive installed and sold not one failure , ZERO
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

7. Member
    Thanks Joe. Was hoping for a different answer. I have to buy two VR's and a new batter with a total of $700. Ouch! It's crazy that a voltage regulator costs so much in comparison to the one we buy for automobiles. Thanks.

8. Member
    One more question, what CCA do we need for a 175 EFI? Thanks

9. Member
    I found an old response from Don stating 800 CCA. Thanks

10. Member
    do you have anything else that runs on that batt, pumps , fish graphs , lights , radio ,etc , thats the bare min for the engine DO NOT SKIMP ON AMPS , remember it dont cost much more to go first class

11. Member
    Yes. I have all of that and it’s kept up except these recent weird issues.

I bought the best wet cell batter I can find (group 31). I also order the new voltage regulators and will get them this weekend hopefully.

I have a question regarding the wiring for the voltage regulators (VR). There are the following six wires coming from the VR:

1. red
    2. red
    3. grey
    4. yellow
    5. yellow
    6 black

There are matching wires in color and quantity coming from the engine system with the exception of the grey wire. There's only one grey coming from the engine system. Currently the grey wire coming from the bottom VR isn't connected. What is the grey for and should I wire them together?

Thanks.

12. Member
    no ,gray is tach circuit can go to either reg cap unused gray on other reg

13. Member
    Thank you!

14. Member
    welcome sir