Thread: Opinions on p2p

Opinions on p2p

I have a 2000 180d with a johnson 225, 14.5x24p raker prop. 6 inch jp. I'm just trying to get ideas on where everyone has their p2p at I realize I'll need fine tuning o. My own rig. Do these cobras run flatter than most? I had it at 3" and was only turning 5k rpm. I went ahead and raised it to 2.5" my last boat was a ranger and it needed alot of bow lift to get going I feel like this boat doesn't need as much or I may be wrong

2. Member
    If you are running a 225 HP on an 18' bass boat with a 14.5x24p at 3", the motor should be hitting the rev limiter or run well over 5K rpm, if the motor was running full power.

I am running a Merc 225 EFI off a 10" JP set at 2 7/8", spinning a 26" Tempest Plus (14.6 X 26") worked by Croxton for my specs on a 2002 201DC turning 5700 rpm mid 70s. I could run this prop at 2.5" 5900 rpm, but I have the JP set to run my other prop 25" Trophy Plus without change.

I would suggest to get some vital on the motor and do a full tune on it and the prop.

BTW, that boat is only rated for 175 HP

3. Member
    To clarify, I was at 3 ish. I was in a rush and didn't think straight and dropped it on my last take out. Not raised it. So I was pushing 5k ish at 4" p2p. Now I set it to 2.75, engine is running mint, just had it gone through. 115psi on all 6. Boat is actually rated for 200 per manufacture. yahoo previous owner slapped a 225 on it. When I got it the p2p was set at like 1.5-1.75. And she hit 73 per GPS. Ehich was just a little to much. And had zero bow lift before prop would blow out. So I'm trying to find that fine line between high enough and low enough where rpms are still decent but I'll get more traction and kid won't crap him self when I'm running accross the lake

4. Member
    You are saying that she runs well at 2.75", which is very close to what I am running on my 201DC, so I would suggest that you get some baseline numbers like RPMs at WOT, top speed at WOT. and water pressure at WOT.

I have very good bow lift with my prop and very good running numbers at WOT.

5. Member
    Yes I know that, I'm mote or less asking what others numbers are to see if I'm off, as I said I'm used to a totally different style boat as it seems like these cobras like to run more flat than having bow high in the air compared to my old ranger. So like I asked do these cobras like to run more flat like a basscat compared to others

6. Member
    I know a lot of people with Ranger, and I can tell you that not many would say that a Ranger runs with the bow up in the air. My boat runs with about less than 4' of wet surface, yet if you look at her the bow is not up in the air, which would be a bad set up anyway. If you look at the topcap of a Cobra, it flows down as it gets closer to the tip of the bow.

In my opinion, with the amount of overpowering your boat has, it should have no problem running a higher bow.

2001 VIPER COBRA 180
    Length:
    Beam:
    Max. HP:
    Hull Weight:
    Engine on Test Boat:
    Prop:
    Top Speed:

17 feet, 10 inches
    88 inches
    1,250 pounds
    Mercury 125 ELPTO
    Trophy 24
    52 mph

7. Member
    My boat is a 99, and i believe the title actually says 190d, so 200 is my max as my plaque states also on the hull. Regardless. My old ranger loved running high but it was an older boat. I'm starting to think about slapping my spare prop on to send this one out to get printed, and running it where it is. Only way to figure it out is to run it in the water

8. Member
    FWIW my coral ran very flat and I believe that is the case for the Viper hulls in general. Trimming enough to get the bow way up in the air is a waste on a Viper hull in my opinion. You're just wasting energy that could be used to push the boat forward instead to hold the bow up in the air. My Skeeter FX21 is exactly the opposite. If you don't run maximum trim and get the bow up you don't get maximum performance out of the hull. Different hulls have different running surface designs. I believe the Viper family of hulls are just flat running designs.