X2 POWER BATTERY

I have a Triton 07 TR-186 with 150 Opti. I have 2 Lowrance Carbon 9's, and one HDS Gen3 7" graph and 2 Power poles on a cutoff switch (and not used very often and the switch is off unless I'm actively using them). No stereo or anything like that.

In July 2016 I purchased a Group 31 X2 Power battery from Batteries Plus, it started failing at a little over 3 years. Had it tested at the store, tested bad, and I walked out the door 5 minutes later with a brand new replacement battery. Great Customer Service. This was in Nov 2019. My 2nd battery is coming up on 3 years in November and is doing the same thing as the first battery. By 1pm in the afternoon, I have to jump off the Optimax. I have a small (cheap) load tester in my garage so today I unplugged the charger, battery was showing 13.4v. I turned on my 3 graphs and by 1pm my load test showed 12.4 and 40%. Not good.

And if you're not aware, you don't get 4 years of warranty on the replacement battery, rather, you get the remaining warranty of the original battery only. In my case, this was about 9 months.

I'm charging the battery with a Pro Charging Systems Dual Pro 3-bank charger, 10 amps per bank. As soon as I get off the water, it's plugged in. I try to take great care of my batteries.

I've read the reviews, they're all glowing. Hard to find any negative things about this battery. Am I the only one not getting at least 4 years out of this battery? I'm thinking that since it's been nearly 6 years since my original cash outlay, I shouldn't complain. $450 every 6 years is 75 bucks a year, a small amount to pay for piece of mind and cheap in this sport. On the other hand, I feel like I should be able to get at least 4 years out of these things, which has not been the case for two separate batteries.

Can't find any unbiased reviews online about the true reliability of these batteries. Anyone else having these batteries fail prematurely?
    Triton TR-186, Mercury Optimax 150

I had one back in like 2016. I burned the “unkillable” x2 power up in like 1.5 years and burned a northstar up in about 2 years. Imo not all they are cracked up to be. I went lithium in 2019. If you put 150-200 cycles on a cranking agm battery imo that’s about all they are worth. Seems like after about 12 months they really start to lose their juice and by month 24 they are down to about half of what they were at new. If you use a battery it will wear out.

2023 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 2.7L Ecoboost FX4
    2021 Phoenix 721/ Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    HDS16 Pro- Solix15 : Console
    HDS16 Pro W/AT - Garmin 126 W/ lvs34 - Solix12/ 360 : Bow
    Dual 10' Blades/ Lowrance Ghost/ Bobs Hydraulic Plate
    225ah cranking / 100ah trolling. Ionic/Relion lithium

MLF Invitationals Angler
    Instagram @brettcarnright

3. Member
    I’m would not necessarily say they battery is failing prematurely. If you run it down below 30% often it will lose capacity over time. All batteries lose capacity over time anyway. If is gets used a lot and drained down low a lot then I think 3 years is pretty good overall.

4. Member
    Could be your charger. Many reports here on BBC of the inability of the DP chargers to bring that X2/Northstar to full charge. That would reduce its life span.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by catdude28 View Post
    Could be your charger. Many reports here on BBC of the inability of the DP chargers to bring that X2/Northstar to full charge. That would reduce its life span.
    ^^^This^^^

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by catdude28 View Post
    I will certainly do some homework on this. Thanks.
    Triton TR-186, Mercury Optimax 150

7. Member
    The Dual Pro "Professional" w/ 15 amps per bank has been working well for me. You may want to consider upgrading your charger to one that puts out 15 amps. Dual Pro makes a good one, IMO.

8. Member
    There was another thread about this but I had the same problem after a year. A few people said that the Dual Pro wouldn't charge the X2's. Lesson learned, I won't be buying another one of those and based on the attitude of the guy at Batteries Plus anything else from there. I've had a lot of batteries over the years and have always used a Dual Pro, never had a problem before this.

9. Member
    There is some technically challenging stuff about TPPL batteries. It is made for high discharge and charge rates. Can be damaged if not treated differently than a normal AGM. Not an easy read but all I could find that was not attached to a brand. Normal Marine chargers will not enhance their durability. I have had one for over 4 years and it is working great but I did spend $200 for a special charger that was recommended by the mfr.(Odyssey- now Enersys) It is 20 Amps and has a special conditioning cycle so I could use it for a starting battery for my old Ficht OB vs Lithium as I was convinced my (2002) Evinrude Ficht stator would be burnt up if the BMS shut down. I would go with lithium now and find out, but thats water under the bridge now. Just some info if you care to dive in. Bob

Link: https://www.onecharge.biz/blog/lithi...tery-overview/
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

10. Member
    I suspet that those who blame your charger might be correct. I used to have my batteries failing every two years. I was someone who always left my battery charger connected. After a lot of research, I read that not all battery chargers are the same in terms of burning charging cycles when the battery charger is already connected. I had been using an early generation of the genius chargers (I hear their more recent models are better at this), but found some comparisons of those chargers to the newer Minn Kota models had some stark differences. The minn kota apparently had more advanced tech (at the time) to detect that your battery is already charged and not continue burning charging cycles. So I changed two things: I sold the older genius and bought the newer minn kota, and I stopped leaving it plugged in all the time. Once the batteries are charged, I unplug. I switched to this behavior a few years ago and have not had a battery fail since. I did just switch to that same X2Power 31agm just this year, for the added capacity. I'm running two HDS live 12s on the bow, an HDS live Carbon on the console, ActiveTarget, fish tournaments so my fill and recirc pumps are often running. I have everything on that one battery and so far the capacity has been great. Only time will tell though if it lasts.
    2005 Stratos 201 Pro XL
    2010 Yamaha 250 SHO
    10in Atlas Hydraulic, 10ft PP blades

11. Member
    I'm dealing with this issue right now and I bought my battery in January 2020. The guy at the store told me 48 months, no questions asked. That store is "temporarily closed" according to the website. I took it today to another Batteries Plus and it turns out this store asks a bunch of questions and may not honor the warranty. They are going to charge and test the battery and let me know Monday.
    2000 Ranger 518vx - 2019 Mercury Pro xs 200

12. Scraps
    I'm using the Dual Pro 10amp per bank charger with no known issues at this time. However thinking about the charger upgrade. I've had mine tow seasons of light use and still works great.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cmbtvet View Post
    I'm dealing with this issue right now and I bought my battery in January 2020. The guy at the store told me 48 months, no questions asked. That store is "temporarily closed" according to the website. I took it today to another Batteries Plus and it turns out this store asks a bunch of questions and may not honor the warranty. They are going to charge and test the battery and let me know Monday.
    It’s always no questions asked until it comes down to money out of their pocket. Especially if it was sold somewhere else! Actually they will all make sure it’s the battery’s issue. JMO Bob

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    It’s always no questions asked until it comes down to money out of their pocket. Especially if it was sold somewhere else! Actually they will all make sure it’s the battery’s issue. JMO Bob
    I called them today (was busy prepping for and riding out Ian this week) and they did say the battery is bad. Now my problem is the receipt...I don't have or can't find the hard copy and I can't remember my password on the Batteries Plus website. I've tried probably close to 20 times to reset the password and have yet to get an email from them. I called the number on the website that says "Help is just a phone call away!1-800-677-8278" and it turns out that help is only available Mon-Fri which doesn't do me any good. Also, the store I bought the battery from originally is a corporate store which is closed and the one I went to now is a franchise. The guy told me their warranty process is different than the corporate store process. Even if I had the receipt, they have to make the claim with the manufacturer and the manufacturer is the final approving authority. It's looking more and more like I have a $460 anchor. I know I will not recommend an X2 to anyone ever again though.

15. Member
    If that is your biggest problem right now,(considering where you are) You are in good shape. Timing on the battery Sucks big time though. Good luck and hang in there. You should not need to have the receipt unless you are at the very end of the warranty. There should be a serial number on the thing. Would require the MFR to sign off on it though. JMO Bob

16. Member
    I have one that I am questioning right now. It charges to 12.9v (full, stable state, off charger). But, when I crank, the low voltage alarm goes off every time on the FF. I'll either pull it and take it to Batteries Plus, or buy a $45 load tester and test it myself first.

- not thrilled with the possibility.
    1985 Ranger 340v w/ 1985 Johnson GT150 Crossflow
    2018 BassCat Pantera Classic w/ 2018 Mercury 200 ProXS

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NoZero View Post
    I have one that I am questioning right now. It charges to 12.9v (full, stable state, off charger). But, when I crank, the low voltage alarm goes off every time on the FF. I'll either pull it and take it to Batteries Plus, or buy a $45 load tester and test it myself first.

- not thrilled with the possibility.
    I see that Mercury has updated the lithium battery usage policy for the Pro xs. I’ve got Ionic 50ah batteries for my tm already, I might just bite the bullet and get the 125ah battery to replace the X2.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cmbtvet View Post
    I see that Mercury has updated the lithium battery usage policy for the Pro xs. I’ve got Ionic 50ah batteries for my tm already, I might just bite the bullet and get the 125ah battery to replace the X2.
    Go for it! I am still in an oil burner, so not approved yet.
    1985 Ranger 340v w/ 1985 Johnson GT150 Crossflow
    2018 BassCat Pantera Classic w/ 2018 Mercury 200 ProXS