Point blank jig blank?

Really what’s the overall difference between the 73 mhxf and the hxf? Looking for a blank for 1/2oz jigs. Based on the specs on point blanks site the MH should be perfectly fine. I currently have 2 of the 7mhf blanks and they are fantastic just looking to move up to a little more power How does the 73 length mh compare to the 7mhf? The ratings on their site are considerably different showing the 73 to have a good amount more power over the 7’ model.

their site seems to be all over on the ratings
    Nitro z21

2. Member
    I have both. The 7’3” has more power than the 7’. I would suggest the 7’3”.

3. Member
    JasonG did you ever end up moving forward with the pb73mhxf? I’m considering building one as well and curious about this blank
    Last edited by YamahaRacing55; 06-07-2023 at 11:53 PM.

4. Member
    7' to 7'3" 1 % more powerful
    to 7'6" MHF 11% more powerful
    To 7'3" HF 15% more powerful, the 7' blank is always less powerful.

5. Member
    Good info spoon, do you have any experience with any of the blanks you mentioned?

6. Member
    Honestly I don't love the MHXF or HXF blanks for jigs and t-rigs...I've got both and from my perspective they're both under their line/weight ratings by a decent amount, not as bad a Phenix but still under. I wouldn't really call them XF either. The MH gets swim jig, spinnerbait and buzzbaits and the H gets slop swim jigs, small frogs, chatterbaits and buzzbaits.

7. Member
    Yamaha,
    Just the PB731MHXF, be advised it is on the lower end of XF in my opinion which make it more versatile, that said I think to PB73MXF is a fantastic blank, 5 points lower ERN, but it throws things into next week and is also a versatile blank, #2 on my list, #1 is the PB701MF for versatility. PB691MLXF for finesse stuff, PB76XXHMF for swimbaits and other heavy stuff.

8. Member
    Pretty expensive blanks to build on just to disappoint on that aspect..I was hoping to hear good things about them. I’m interested in starting to build rods for me and my dad and trying to gather some good information for some moderate to heavy cover “pitching” rods for 3/8-1/2oz t rigs and 1/2oz jigs. 7’2”-7’4” Lightweight, sensitive, and well balanced are what I’m looking for. I know x rays are rated highly, just not sure what blanks to be looking for and don’t have any CCS numbers to base anything off of

9. Member
    Spoon that comment was in reference to willwork4fish just fyi.

what’s your opinion on the xfast vs fast for fishing close quarter cover with tx rigs and jigs?

10. Member
    Don't get me wrong, I like the blanks just not for what jasonG is talking about. You might love them, I just don't for feel baits. The PB691MLXF is probably my favorite DS blank so it's nothing against Point Blank.

For 1/2 oz jigs I think there's better options

Hydra Ng FL904
    Hydra Ng BC904
    Rainshadow RX10 ETEC76MH or 74H

NFC has a ton of options, I've bagged on them plenty in the past because of ship times and blanks that have been less than what I'd consider straight but my last two order have been much better. I just got 10 (well 6 but the other 4 are coming) XRays for $60 each which is a great price.

XRay SJ765 (or 725, I tend just to get longer ones and cut them since I buy most of my blanks for stock)
    XRay MB7108 - this is really a great blank, I've cut them to 7' and still been really happy with the power
    IM or HM MB736
    Flip764

11. Member
    I seen they had the 10 for 600 sale going on and was debating it. Just thought it might be overkill for someone who’s never even built one yet. I may still do it though..
    Rookie question here but what’s the process for cutting down these blanks without damaging it?

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YamahaRacing55 View Post
    I seen they had the 10 for 600 sale going on and was debating it. Just thought it might be overkill for someone who’s never even built one yet. I may still do it though..
    Rookie question here but what’s the process for cutting down these blanks without damaging it?
    I put a piece of masking tape around the blank where I want to cut it and use a dremel with a cutoff wheel.

13. Member
    X Fast to me means it has a softer tip, not my idea of a jig/pitching rod, also they are, because of the design, more likely to blow up the tip if high sticked on a big hookset, or other reason. I like mod. fast blanks for flipping, and just a bit faster for your needs.