Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Trailering with Trolling Motor Only

Sorry if this has been covered; I did a search of the forum to no avail, though.

We have a local reservoir that is a 9.9hp limit. Bigger engines can be on it but must be trimmed out of the water the entire time you’re out. I used to fish it with a smaller boat but now have a 2020 520L. Looking for advice on how you guys trailer with the trolling motor only. I’ve seen a YouTube video of guys lining up, running to trailer and pulling the TM at the last second. Seems a little risky to me. Is this the best way or would strapping and winching it the whole way be better? This is what I used to do but the boat was much smaller in size and weight. Appreciate the advice.

2. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar
    I've used the trolling motor to load the boat on my 2009 Z520 when my Interstate batteries failed me and couldn't start the Etec.

Like you mentioned, line it up and put the trolling motor on 100 then pull the trolling motor out at the last second. Then use the winch to pull it up the rest of the way (once you reach the spot where it's difficult to crank, back the trailer down in the water some more and crank it to the bow roller).

2022 Ranger Z520R | 2022 Platinum F250
    Apex 19 | (2) Apex 16's | Mega 360 | Mega Live

3. Member
    Do it all the time at one tight ramp near me. No need to risk TM damage by going fast. Back trailer in slightly deeper & use moderate TM speed. Boat will contact front of bunks…..then winch it up. Fulton 2 speed winch makes it an easy job.
    Lightning 6
    2007 TR-196DC

4. Member
    at most lakes in ohio you can use the big engine to load only? cowan lake has this?
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

5. Member
    What I love about this board is that I can go offline for a few hours and come back to great ideas from fellow fishermen. I appreciate so much the feedback and advice. I’ll give it a shot but might be white knuckling it a bit when pulling the TM the first time.

Mactlman, this is Hoover. From what I understand they are very strict over there. I’ve seen guys use their big motor but I’d rather obey the law and not risk any issues. I could always reach out to odnr to confirm.

6. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dkinney6 View Post
    What I love about this board is that I can go offline for a few hours and come back to great ideas from fellow fishermen. I appreciate so much the feedback and advice. I’ll give it a shot but might be white knuckling it a bit when pulling the TM the first time.

Mactlman, this is Hoover. From what I understand they are very strict over there. I’ve seen guys use their big motor but I’d rather obey the law and not risk any issues. I could always reach out to odnr to confirm.

Like Scott said above, if you don't feel comfortable going 90%-100% on the TM and stowing it at the last second, go slower and just get it started on the trailer then back the trailer in deeper and use the winch.

7. Member
    So let’s see if I understand Scott’s suggestion. You mean backing down far enough so the TM clears the trailer? I have a ghost so I guess I could move the shaft up before loafers if necessary instead of keeping it all the way down.

8. Member
    Loafers = loading. Ha!!

9. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dkinney6 View Post
    So let’s see if I understand Scott’s suggestion. You mean backing down far enough so the TM clears the trailer? I have a ghost so I guess I could move the shaft up before loafers if necessary instead of keeping it all the way down.
    I don't think that's what he meant, although raising the trolling motor like you mentioned would eliminate some of the risk hitting the trailer on the way in.

When I did it with the trolling motor I went full speed 100% at the trailer and pulled up the trolling motor at the last second and "coasted" onto the trailer somewhat. I then let out a bunch of winch strap to reach the boat bow eye and started cranking the boat in with the winch. Once it got hard to crank by hand, I backed the trailer down into the water more and it became easier to crank the boat up the remaining distance to touch the bow roller.

10. Member
    Not just back the trailer in more, but actually when you first back in make sure the bunks are all fully submirged, get them good and wet, that will make it easier to winch it on. Then just go in deep, walk your boat up with a rope, that will get you a good ways there, then just winch it, you can always beck in further if you need. If this is something you will do often, get a Fulton f2 winch. I have a very hard/heavy boat to load and it’s easy. You can do it no problem. Don’t do the trolling motor if you aren’t comfortable, you can get good momentum with a rope.
    Last edited by 99R93S; 09-12-2022 at 07:35 AM.

11. Member
    Dkinney-I fish Hoover and just wet my bunks and use my ghost TM at a fairly normal speed (4) to direct the boat onto the bunks. I upgraded to a Fulton winch and just use it to pull the boat up on the trailer to properly load it. When I’m operating the TM, I have it unlatched and I’m using the pull cord to keep it that way until the last second when I lift it out of the water to avoid hitting my trailer with the trolling motor.

same with Cowan the one time I fished it. I’ve also seen guys use their big motor to load their boat and never saw anyone get in trouble for it. The only people who care are the people hanging around the launch ramp that seem to have a major chip on their shoulders about bass boaters fishing Hoover, lol. They love to tell you about how you need to remove your prop; keep the motor trimmed out of the water, etc none of which I’ve ever done at Hoover. And I’ve actually never even used my big motor to load there.
    2022 Ranger z518 / 2022 Merc Pro XS 200 serial # 3B137559

12. Member
    This is all great information. Thanks to everyone taking time to respond. Bman, I hear you. I had a 90 on my last boat and folks at Hoover would always give me grief - even with the fuel line disconnected and prop out of the water. Something about a bass boat brings out the best in people. �� Just want to avoid the headache. I’m usually over at Alum, but it’s a different type of clown show at the ramp over there.

Think I’ll look into the Fulton. From what I’ve read on here, they’re beasts. Appreciate the recommendations.

13. Member
    Ok... Looked at the Fulton F2. Are you guys using the 2 speed 3,200lb? And, dumb question, what do you do about the safety strap? Mine is original from the factory so it's sewn together through the eye of the clamp that attaches to the boat and then clamps to the trailer below.

14. Member
    Yes the Fulton f2 2 speed 3200 lb. As far as the safety hook not sure. Mine doesn't attach to the strap at all so I don’t want to give you bad advice there. I can tell you the winch tho is excellent.

pull trolling motor at last second and run to back - sometimes you get really lucky and it goes all the way up

put trailer in a little deeper - crank it part way up - pull trailer out a couple of feet and crank the rest of the way in - make sure you get the new fulton 2 speed winch

16. Member
    I don't have the 2-speed but i also have a lighter boat than you do (18 foot Triton with a 175 2s.)

Yes; Alum is very much an entirely different clown show, lol. At least we are post-Labor Day and things quiet down a bit for the rest of the year!

Good luck and maybe I'll see you on the water.

Brian
    2022 Ranger z518 / 2022 Merc Pro XS 200 serial # 3B137559

17. Member
    Don’t need to be deep enough to clear TM……just back in deeper. I power load with 6” of my tandem fenders above water. On the ramp in question I back in til 2” of my fenders are above water. I troll straight at the trailer and pull my TM when I am 12” away from rear of trailer. I doubt my TM would hit the trailer at that point but don’t want to take any chances. Boat will slide to a stop IVO the front of center bunks…..and I climb over the gunnel onto my triton step (or my 3 week old trickstep). From there I attach strap from 3200lb f2 & crank her up. Once in a while on flatter ramps I only pull part way out then check to make sure the boat loaded correctly. It is not rocket science….and your TM is probably pretty darn tough…..my old motorguide tour still is.
    Lightning 6
    2007 TR-196DC

18. Member
    I'll look for your Triton out there, Brian. This is my favorite time of the year to fish. I'll go out on certain Saturdays when a big game is on and it feels like I have the whole lake to myself.

Looks like there was a thread about the Fulton from 2018 or so where Jc2bg posted some pics of his install and how he dealt with the safety chain. Unfortunately, the pics seem to have disappeared from the thread. Wonder if anyone has any recent pics of an install on a newer trailer or has a different solution to the two hook strap ranger design. Probably would defeat the purpose to buy the Fulton winch and put the ranger strap on it. Might not even fit. I can ask at the dealer, of course. Always looking for an excuse to hang out at Knox Marine. Just learn so much from being around those guys.

19. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Here’s one of the pics in my archive:

And another:

20. Member
    Thanks!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast