fuel delivery problem

having a fuel problem with my 3 liter optimax. 0 hours on fully dressed powerhead. after I got it back runs out of fuel , either idling or attempting to get on plane, just shutters and dies. you have to pump the fuel bulb forever to get fuel and then it will restart. it seems like it will only use the fuel I pump into the fuel canister and then runs out. the bulb is new and the fuel lines are new. didn't have this problem before it blew up it ran great for the last 16 years with 0 fuel problems and 850 hrs. logically I think the bulb is bad, but it is brand new, and I know new doesn't mean good. I put a fuel pump on today squeezed that bulb forever just to get it firm, minutes later its limp again, can't get out again this weekend but maybe during the week, any ideas????????????, thanks

3 fuel pumps. Pulse, low pressure, high pressure, which is new? Don is going to want a s/n to properly help you
    Chris Hawkins

Ranger 520VX / Mercury Optimax 225

Quote Originally Posted by Chris85 View Post
    3 fuel pumps. Pulse, low pressure, high pressure, which is new? Don is going to want a s/n to properly help you
    Would all be new on a fully dressed powerhead.

Honora Primum Vel Nullum Omnin Honorem

4. Member
    I replaced the primary, it seems like the fuel bulb fills the canister and then I use whats in there and it runs out of fuel. I talked to the folks that did the work and they agreed but just guessed on the primary, but like I said logically I think it might be the bulb. I know there's a float in the canister and I am wondering if it is sticking and not allowing fuel to stay at a correct level, maybe a bad needle and seat, I guess I won't know till I take it apart. Either way I'm trying not to go the shotgun approach. I can't take it back to the shop who did the work, its a little much of a drive 550 miles, and 12 hours away. I'm a retired ford tech so I really do know my way around a screwdriver, but this isn't a f150. I have a fuel bulb I'm going to put on and try to try it one day this week, I guess I will see what happens......thanks

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Recommend you get a separate (portable) fuel tank with it's OWN fuel line and bulb. Connect DIRECTLY to the pulse fuel pump inside the cowling- then go run the boat and see if the problem persists (or is gone). SIMPLE way to determine if the problem is inside the cowling, or outside.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    update on the fuel problem, I put on a new fuel bulb and the pulse fuel pump, it appears to have fixed the concern. thanks for all the sugestions , I appreciate it.

7. Member
    bulbs are often overlooked
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................