Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

lithium batteries with mercury OB

ok if I switch to lithium I'm switching them all .What's the scoop on them with mercury OBs . I got a 225 opti Will it damage it ? What's a reliable brand and charging system ?
    I don't need low dollar I need good reliable stuff
    [email]bblythe64gmail.com

2. Member
    merc says no but it is your engine

read about it in the merc area below LOTS of talk about this
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

3. Member
    Mercury doesn’t say no. And they won’t void your warranty. Period.

They may, at their discretion, deny a warranty claim if they determine the failure was a direct result of using a Lithium battery. But to be honest, they have discretion in denying any warranty claim if they feel it is not as a result of a manufacturer’s defect.

But no where do they state absolutely do not use one, at least for modern engines.

In the end, it’s the end users choice if they want to switch over or not.

As for brand, probably the mostly used starting lithiums on BBC are the Ionic 100ah or the 125ah. Thousands in use and not a single report of any issues as a cranking battery. Love mine (125ah Ionic).

Quote Originally Posted by bblythe View Post
    ok if I switch to lithium I'm switching them all .What's the scoop on them with mercury OBs . I got a 225 opti Will it damage it ? What's a reliable brand and charging system ?
    I don't need low dollar I need good reliable stuff
    The big scoop had to do with the new V8 and a possibility of the high output alternator overpowering the BMS of some lithium thus shutting down the motor at speed.
    Being you have an Opti I don't see any problem My vote is for Ionics.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DQM View Post

They may, at their discretion, deny a warranty claim if they determine the failure was a direct result of using a Lithium battery. But to be honest, they have discretion in denying any warranty claim if they feel it is not as a result of a manufacturer’s defect.

But no where do they state absolutely do not use one, at least for modern engines.

In the end, it’s the end users choice if they want to switch over or not.

As for brand, probably the mostly used starting lithiums on BBC are the Ionic 100ah or the 125ah. Thousands in use and not a single report of any issues as a cranking battery. Love mine (125ah Ionic).

6. Member
    Put the Relion (Tracker Marine) 100HP in beginning of this season and it has performed flawlessly so far. Time will tell over the long haul and I have the same motor.

7. Member
    Im not sure about the opti's but i have a 2004 merc 200 efi and i recently switched over to a ionic 125 ah ionic lithium and im super impressed with it...probably will never go back to agm.
    2004 Stratos 295 Pro XL
    2004 Mercury 3.0 L EFI 200 HP SN: 0T908560
    Standard/Servicemaster Lower 859399T13

8. Member
    Been using 125 ionic and it is the best thing I have ever done
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

9. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar
    I recently switched to all lithiums and went with Ionics. Two 125ah parallel for cranking/electronics and three 100ah for the Ultrex. I had the PP charge, but it wasn't charging my middle trolling battery (a known issue) so I switched to the Minn Kota MK-550 charger.

Get with Andy at Drewcraft here on BBC, he can answer any questions you have.

Good luck in your search.

2022 Ranger Z520R | 2022 Platinum F250
    Apex 19 | (2) Apex 16's | Mega 360 | Mega Live

10. Member
    Ran a Relion 100ah for over 7 years with my Opti 150 with no issues. Just upgraded to Ionic's because I wanted the bluetooth app to monitor them, nothing wrong with the Relion's.

Quote Originally Posted by 22RangerZ520R View Post
    I recently switched to all lithiums and went with Ionics. Two 125ah parallel for cranking/electronics and three 100ah for the Ultrex. I had the PP charge, but it wasn't charging my middle trolling battery (a known issue) so I switched to the Minn Kota MK-550 charger.

Get with Andy at Drewcraft here on BBC, he can answer any questions you have.

Good luck in your search.

This is what I did, purchase from the same person..... but only one with 125 amp hour.
    Retired 2022...Ranger 2011 Z520, OptiMax 250 1B822149, 8" Bob's Jack-plate, Helix 12si / Helix12di, Duel 12' Talon's, Ultrex 112 i-Pilot Link, Mega 360 and Bravo XS 25.
    At ~400 hours had injectors clean and calibrated by INTEGRITY Injection (by
    European Marine)

12. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by DQM View Post

This exactly do not fall into the talk on here that mercury says NO or will void your warranty. Happy to go over the benifits of our 120 ah Impulse over other brands. give me a call

13. BBC SPONSOR
    Maybe it's me, but I've not had any issues running the interstate agm that came with my boat. I do run lithium trolling batteries. As far as cranking goes I've never came close to running out of juice. I'm running 2 Garmin 106sv's with livescope and a 93uhd with no issues.

Another long term (4 years) lithium system with Optimax here…no issues whatsoever.

So how many MCA’s do your lithiums provide.

Good question.
    I know a 125AH Ionic will start the old 3.2 ltr 300 HP with no problem and it took a lot of juice.
    Bought the Ionic right before getting a new V8 Merc. Then sold the battery for the early fears of the BMS shutting down under WOT and put in the big AGM battery.. When it goes, I will replace with a 125 AH Ionics.

17. Member
    I've ran a small race-style lithium start battery on my 18' Lynx since day one, first on the G2 300 I ordered it with. Had zero issues and sold that motor to replace it with a 2022 300R. Have ran almost 100 hours this spring/summer with zero issues. Key is to use a lithium purpose built as a start battery so the BMS can handle the loads. A TM style lithium will NOT work.

Lithium Pros M3426P. (I don't think this particular battery is available any more but again, a purpose-built start battery is the key.)
    2018 BassCat Lynx
    Mercury 300R

Beautiful Grand Lake
    Grove Oklahoma

I'm about a month in on the Impulse Lithium kit that includes a 120 ah starting battery, 24v 60ah trolling battery, single bank charger and charge on the run converter. So far so good and even after a long day on the water running everything I'm still around 65% on both batteries. They charge up a lot faster than AGM or lead acid as well. Customer service has been excellent from Impulse as well.
    Rob Ridge
    www.folsombassteam.com
    2018 Nitro Z19 Pro, 200 Mercury Pro XS

I just replaced my set up with a Ionic 125 and 3 50s for the trolling motor. I run a hummingbird helix 15 at the console and a 12 and 10 helix on the bow with a live and mega 360 and I can fish a tournament and not go below 70%. I have been very impressed with the set up !

Mike Beachy 2020 TRX 21 250 Pro XS 4S

20. Member
    I recently ordered a GLine Cranking battery. Has worked well so far with my Pro XS 250 2 stroke and reasonably priced.
    2017 Triton 21TrX Elite
    Mercury Pro XS 250
    Ultrex 112, Mega 360 w/ Helix 10 Di Si Meg+
    Garmin Livescope + on an Ultra 122SV at the bow.
    Garmin Ultra 122SV and Ultra 126SV at the Helm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast