Where do you like to run your jackplate?

I just got a 2016 zx225, 225SHO, and an atlas jackplate. This is my first bass boat with a hydraulic jackplate. Where do you guys like to run your jackplate. I get the most speed with the jack all the way up. If I run it WOT with the jack at 7-10 it'll start to get a little squirley. But with the jack at 20 it's straight as an arrow, can drive with one finger. Is there any reason I wouldn't want to make long runs with the jackplate all the way up? It holds water pressure the whole time.
    2016 Skeeter ZX225. 2016 Yamaha 225SHO
    99 Hells Bay Whipray. 99 Mercury 40

12 for most of the time. Sometimes up to 14. Just seems to be best for my boat.

3. Member
    Remember settings will also depend on what hole your motor is mounted in, mine is second hole down from the top. Best speed I have seen was with plate at 16, normally will run it lower especially if water is rough.

4. Member
    Mine is in the third hole. I considered raising it up one hole. So for someone inexperienced with a jackplate, you should run it lower in rougher water?

5. Member
    Correct on Champlain this summer I was running it all the way down most of the time. Not sure why but on my 21 zx225 even with prop worked by Croxton I have never had much bow lift, been that way since day one. My zx190 would run much different moving the plate around including holding the bow up much better.

For all around speed and performance I’d say 13-14
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

7. Member
    Is there any reason you shouldn't run it with the jack all the way up for long runs. Like is that getting the LU up too high? Will it possibly surface too easily?

Quote Originally Posted by FishWhisperer. View Post
    Is there any reason you shouldn't run it with the jack all the way up for long runs. Like is that getting the LU up too high? Will it possibly surface too easily?

As long as you are maintaining good water pressure then you are good.

Quote Originally Posted by FishWhisperer. View Post
    I’ve never done it on really long runs bc I don’t think there’s any benefit, but run it up all the way when I’m in the backwaters on tidal rivers.
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO