2004 225Hpdi wont get on plane

I have a 2004 HPDI that wont get on plane. Feels like it is stuck in 4cyl mode. Seen many posts about the shift sensor. I tested it and it appears to be working. How do you check the shift cut switch? Thanks

Have you done a compression test yet? Might want too go do one too rule out that.
    97 TR21 99 225EFI S/N OG885575

3. Member
    I've checked the plugs and they look fine. Actually replaced them and fuel filters just to rule that out. I've blown cylinders before.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris225 View Post
    I've checked the plugs and they look fine. Actually replaced them and fuel filters just to rule that out. I've blown cylinders before.
    Gotcha, good luck with your issue.
    97 TR21 99 225EFI S/N OG885575

5. Member
    Did some more checking on it this evening and the #1 spark plug was perfectly clean. Being I just changed the plugs I would assume I have no spark on that cylinder. What are the trouble shooting steps from here? Thanks for any help.

6. Member
    Went and bought a spark tester this morning and I do have spark. Bad injector?

7. Member
    I’m not an expert but if it’s fuel related I saw that you did some filters. Have you double checked your work to make sure everything is seated and sealed correctly. I know there are some “hidden filters” as well that can be an issue.

8. Member
    The problem started before the filters were changed. The spark plug removed from the #1 hole was perfectly clean after being ran for an hour. Talked to a friend that is a merc mechanic and he told me how to test an injector. It appears that the #1 injector is dead. I’ve ordered parts and will see what happens.

9. Member
    What did the merc man tell you? What did you do?

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yam911 View Post
    What did the merc man tell you? What did you do?
    He told me to make a jumper with a 12V battery and check for an audible click. The #1 cylinder did not click. The #3 did. That injector was replaced two years ago when the powerhead was rebuilt. It looked slightly different from the originals and has me wondering if it was aftermarket or OEM.

11. Member
    Interesting. An HPDI injector works on approximately 90 volts. I am surprised that 12 volts would have caused the one to click.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yam911 View Post
    Interesting. An HPDI injector works on approximately 90 volts. I am surprised that 12 volts would have caused the one to click.
    That’s good to know. Hope I didn’t just waste $400. Been begging for help on here but from searching old threads it appears everyone that’s ever helped in the past has been banned.

13. Member
    Replaced the injector and it is back running good again.