Lower Unit water pick up

06 Yamaha 225hp Hpdi. Need a lower unit and am confused, natural for me! As I'm looking for a used LU that a reputable repair shop has gone through some of my "expert" fishing pals are offering sometimes sound and sometimes not so sound advice.

One guy who works at a repair shop told me that I had to have a low water pick and that's the only kind Yamaha made or makes.

I'm thinking some Yamaha engines use low water and some "regular" water pick up.

Thoughts appreciated!
    We are all born ignorant but one must work really hard to remain stupid---Ben Franklin

2. Member
    Different Yams use different lower unit configurations. Even HPDI models.

Some have only one pair of forward lower inlets. Some have one pair of side inlets only. Some have a pair of forward lower inlets and a pair of side inlets.

A 2006 VZ225TLR HPDI came with a lower unit that has one pair of forward lower inlets.

It is not unusual or unheard of for folks to install a lower unit from one model type onto a motor of a different model type.

3. Member
    Thanks for the info yam911, I've found a lower that came off a blown engine. A repair shop that has a goos reputation
    just got it in and he's going through it including new water pump. Now that I don't have to worry, it's HPDI too, I might try to get it.

These darn things are fairly expensive used and will break the bank new.
    We are all born ignorant but one must work really hard to remain stupid---Ben Franklin