Engine Ticking - 1998 Evinrude Ficht 175

Long time lurker, first time poster!

Early this summer I got a steal of a deal on a 1998 Javelin 389B with a 1998 Evinrude Ficht 175. I know the horror right? I read all the information I could find on the motor before pulling the trigger. However, there seems to be a problem with the engine, specifically a ticking noise that I cannot locate in the engine.

When I bought the boat, the compression checked good, no issues with motor, diagnostics are good the works. I went to run the motor just to make sure she was ready for fall fishing season and this sound will not stop. It does it in neutral, forward, and reverse and stays constant with the RPMs.

I have a list of possibilities after doing my due diligence and research, and will have to do the fix myself as no local mechanic will even look at the motor, due to the long list of problems this model is famous for.

My thoughts are it could be one of the following:

- Flywheel Magnet has come loose and is ticking

- Possible lower unit issue, Skeg is beat up from previous owner

- Water in fuel (long shot on this one)

- Possible internal bearing or rod (compression is good and no movement in crankshaft)

I am going to decarb motor and re-index with fresh plugs after, drain and inspect lower unit plug for metal, pull flywheel and see if there is visible rubbing or damage on stator. After that I am lost as to what to do. I have the skillset to tear the motor down and rebuild but I don’t know if the time/money involved would be worth it. I am currently saving for repowering and just need to get it fishable for the time being.

I can provide a link to the engine running but cannot post since this is my first post!

2. Member
    Is it a ticking noise or more of a knocking sound? I had this exact motor on a Ranger I had and the injectors do make a ticking sound when running but you certainly would not hear it once the boat is in gear and running at any kind of speed. I have heard some people refer to the E-tec as E-tics before and the design is very similar. On a side note if you ever need a rectifier for that motor I have a spare that I have no use for.
    2017 Ranger 518 w/ Evinrude 150HO G2

3. Member
    FWIW I have a '98 vintage Ficht 175hp and the 'ticking' of the injectors can be VERY noticable @ headway speeds ... The sound is like someone rapping their fingernail on a firm tabletop or a drumstick light to the rim. Some days more than others, for some weird reason, could be ambient temperature or maybe my heading (wind to the bow or to the stern, etc.) related.

Now if you had the OEM diagnostic software, the cable and the laptop you could prove this for yourself - for at least what it sounds like - as you can cycle the injectors with the motor off.
    "Life's too short for an ugly boat!"
    1985 totally refurbished Pro-Line 21A Cuddy - 175hp Evinrude FFI

4. Scraps
    TPS need adjusting? The flywheel magnet thingy. Don't think you'd be able to advance throttle if the face was sheared off. I did this once!
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

5. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by krindgen View Post
    TPS need adjusting? The flywheel magnet thingy. Don't think you'd be able to advance throttle if the face was sheared off. I did this once!
    You mean CPS (crank position sensor)? TPS is on the throttle linkage.

6. Scraps
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    You mean CPS (crank position sensor)? TPS is on the throttle linkage.
    THAT's IT!!! I wrote that and it didn't sound right. Yep I replaced one of those and forgot to gauge the distance. Lasted no longer than one revolution.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

tps.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by krindgen View Post