Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    I’ll add this key bit of info, and you can take it as 100% fact…

….any of these choices are bad for the wallet

2. Member
    What's the max depth the LVS34 can be used in perspective mode efficiently?
    2023 Puma STS

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris1978 View Post
    Just be cautious:

“A lot of people” said the 360 the better choice because they have 360 and not perspective mode mounted side by side to test

“Some people” like to see pretty pictures of structure, not fish swimming in your casting range

“There are people” so brand loyal that it skews their bias

“Many people” just parrot what other forums without any first hand knowledge (in all industries sadly)

At the end of the day you will have to decide for yourself, through your own hands on tests. All brands are good & bad in various areas.

360 was a good tool on my boat, ss3D is a good tool on my boat, LV32 was a good tool on my boat, LV34 is a good tool on my boat, but for me seeing fish move was a huge plus (and the constant freezing and issues with helix & 360 while trying to fish sealed the deal/choice of what direction to go).

In the end you will have to make your choice after seeing & using both (hopefully side by side).
    For sure most people have bias, and I've found with electronics it tends to be worse even than boat brand defenders (besides basscat and go fast boats lol). The humminbird defenders blow my mind on here. They will justify all kinds of nonsense with those graph. If they said, "I'm used to the interface, the SI is great and 360 is a huge deal to me" I'd totally understand. Instead they try to insist they are the greatest, every flaw is user error, and the mega live is incredible and on par with the other brands.

I might have to screw around with perspective mode a little bit, only problem is I only have one black box for my livescope. I would be running an LVS 32 in perspective, no way would I use my LVS 34 for anything other than forward mode (been incredibly impressed with it so far). Who knows, maybe I'll get a wild hair and get a whole new 12" graph with another LVS 34 kit if I finally get sick of my 360 setup. I'm finding it spends more time off than on right now, if the bass are easily seen on my livescope I really don't see the point of running my 360. Early spring when they are buried in the rocks its a different deal though.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

4. Member
    I totally agree about Humminbird. Their units in my opinion are awful. So glad I got away from them

5. Member
    I have been using my LVS32 in the Perspective mode for trolling. I am trolling four rods with micro lead core line (three or four colors) for Hybrids and Stripers. The transducer is tilted an additional 10 degrees downward because the lake is deep and I want to see what is in front of me. The boat is traveling at 2.5 MPH. The Livescope is set at 100 feet. I watch the Livescope as I troll and see the fish appear on the screen. If they appear at the 100’ boundary, the fish are between 17’ and 57’. The trick is to adjust the track of the boat so that the center of the display aligns with the fish. Turn the radial grid on so you can judge the distance., for the past month the fish have been schooled up between 20 and 25 feet deep over deep water. You are driving along and you see the school … you adjust the track so that the fish are centered on the display … they will disappear before they get to the rear of the display because the fish exit the rear of the cone. Where they disappear is determined by how deep the fish are. If the fish disappear between 30 and 40 feet, they will be between 18 and 24 feet. If they disappear before that, the fish are deeper.

Here is how the calculations can be made … think of the cross-section of the cone as being a right triangle with the front angle being 30 degrees (10 + 20). The length of the adjacent side is 100 feet. We don’t care how long the hypotenuse is but we care about how deep the water is (this would be called the opposite side of the triangle). We know two things, the angle (30 degrees) and the range (100’). Determining the depth is real easy … on my iPhone (and Android is the same) when I open the calculator a simple calculator appears. If I rotate the phone 90 degrees, and advanced calculator screen appears … one of the buttons is labeled “TAN”. Enter the angle into your calculator (30) then press TAN and a number appears. Multiply that number by 100 and you get the depth of the water where the bottom of the cone intersects the 100’ boundary …

TAN(30) * 100 = 57.74’ (bottom of the cone at 100’)

TAN(10) * 100 = 17.63’ (top of the cone at 100’)

TAN(30) * 30 = 17.32’ (depth of the fish when it disappears from view at 30’)

TAN(30) is* 40 = 23.09’ (depth of the fish when it disappears from view at 40’)

It is not uncommon using this method to get multiple hookups …. The other day I had fish on all four poles, four different times. These were Hybrids (and an occasional year class Striper) that ranged from 5 to 8 pounds! I call this setup the “Striper Funnel”.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12