Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Chevrolet Colorado

Getting time to get out of my 2006 Silverado. It's been a good truck. But at 265,000 miles.. stuff is starting to become an issue with it. With my budget.. I have realized I cannot afford the full sized truck at this time without diving into more debt than I care to suffer. Preparing to slide into a late model, Used 4wd truck and kind of have my eye on the Colorado/Canyon. I would love to wait for pricing to settle down, but with the wife's vehicle needing to be turned over in a few years, now's the time for my budget and savings. I don't think I need to wait another year or two for her sake. I don't tow a lot with it, but will tow my 18'6'" Triton some. I have a buddy that I fish with 90% of the time and we share costs with him doing the towing of my boat and my boat gas. But I do occasionally venture alone occasionally, though always within a 50-60 mile range. it appears to have the towing capacity to handle my 3000-4000 lb rig & gear fine with the right package.. Trailer has disc surge brakes, so feels like a good fit, and truth is I really don't need the full size truck around the house any longer, yet have been driving full size trucks for 30 years. Just not feeling like I need it any longer. Any Owners here care to share pro's/cons? I really like the truck and features.

I stepped down from a full size Silverado to a Colorado. It’s a nice little truck and gets the job done but it is smaller and takes some getting used to. Make sure you get the V6 engine.

3. Member
    I have owned a 2018 Chev Colorado and currently have a 2020 GMC Canyon Denali. Haven't missed the size at all, other than the odd time I needed to transport some lumber. Tows my ProCraft fine. Excellent for getting around parking lots which seem to have become tighter the past few years. NO complaints, gas mileage OK but not great around town. I have the V6 engine. Dealer just told me the 2023 has a makeover so will be looking to replace when they come out.
    In short I haven't regretted the downsize and my wife enjoys driving it as well.
    Livin' the good life in the Haliburton Highlands
    Charter member of the new Haliburton Highlands Bass Club
    2003 ProCraft 200 SuperPro DC 200 Merc EFI

4. Member
    Someone I fish with occasionally has a Colorado and a triton 196. It rows just fine but around the steep hills he has to keep the revs up. His truck only has a 5 cylinder too. It works fine but the clutch has to be slipped quite a bit pulling up the ramp. Other than that it is good to go.

Check out the Honda Ridgeline also, a lot more room inside, all wheel drive also...

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rtlgator View Post
    Check out the Honda Ridgeline also, a lot more room inside, all wheel drive also...
    Back when I leased a RL they had more room inside than all the other "small trucks". The darn thing did everything "truck wise" I asked of it, I just missed the room of a full size. The folks I know with the GM small trucks seem to be happy with them. One of the guys I know has the diesel and he loves it.

The RL is a contender.

7. Member
    Pulled my Z518 all over the country with a V-6 Colorado crew cab with tow package and 4-wheel drive. Put the transmission in tow mode and lock it in 1-6 for the gears. Never used 7 & 8 with the boat in tow. 13-14mpg towing....closer to 14 at 65MPH. W/O boat....17+MPG around town.....22-24 on the road. Gas wise, did as well as my partners GM 5.3. Only regret is I have the Z-71 off road version. The truck has a stiffer mainframe which I wasn't aware of when I purchased. Rides a little rough around town. More robust is a good way to describe the situation. On inter states I don't notice the ride difference. Most ramps I don't have to use 4-wheel drive.....partners pulling you out just don't seem to understand how to turn on the 4-wheel drive. (gerr) But I believe the V-6 will surprise you. I don't need the full-size bed as all I carry is pine needles these days.

8. Member
    Chevy Colorado would be last on my list of used mid-sized truck. Go Tacoma or Ranger if you can. Probably won't be cheap. Used car market is way overpriced right now

9. Member
    I had a 2016 4x4 WT ext cab for a work truck. It had the 4 cylinder so not much power but decent on gas. It went to 110,000 miles on the stock tires and brakes. No issues. My BIL actually just bought a new one similar build with the v6 for 32k.

10. Member
    Check out a Ford Ranger, you may like it.
    2020 Vexus AVX 1880
    Evinrude E-Tec 135 HO
    Ultrex
    Lowrance

What do you guy think of the GMC Canyon? There's an all new redesign coming out for 2023 and it looks beautiful, was giving the Denali trim serious consideration.
    Last edited by DanR; 09-07-2022 at 04:05 PM.

12. Member
    My company has them for their fleet and from what I’ve heard we’re the largest buyer of Colorados in the country. We have just the WT, but nonetheless I haven’t heard of any consistent issues, just flukes here and there. I like them quite a bit! As I get older I think about practically and these are practical for me, but the price is pretty damn close to a full size.

I have a 2016 Canyon and pull my 18.5 Stratos just fine. I really enjoy it and fits my needs just fine.
    pulling to Lake of Ozarks and those hills 14 MPG. Around southern IL 16-17
    Enjoying life in Southern Illinois

Quote Originally Posted by illinifish View Post
    I have a 2016 Canyon and pull my 18.5 Stratos just fine. I really enjoy it and fits my needs just fine.
    pulling to Lake of Ozarks and those hills 14 MPG. Around southern IL 16-17
    Thanks so much for the feedback :)

15. Member
    The 2023's are completely redesigned and coming w/a 4 cyl turbo charged motor.

Native Titan 10.5 Kayak

I just traded off my 2018 Colorado with the 2.8 Duramax. I have nothing but good to say about it after 75,000 miles. Tow rating was 7700 lbs. on the one I had. Towed an Express X19 with no problems. It's a very handy platform to get around in, we decided we just wanted a little more elbow room again. Great trucks.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Landar View Post
    Chevy Colorado would be last on my list of used mid-sized truck. Go Tacoma or Ranger if you can. Probably won't be cheap. Used car market is way overpriced right now

Why? I currently own a 2022 Colorado ZR2 and have a 2020 before it. They both have been incredibly good trucks with zero issues. I pull three different boats up to a 21 ft. CC and, again, no issues whatsoever. I guess the one shortfall would be gas mileage, but I knew that going in. I'm really looking forward to the 2023 redesign and will probably pick one of those up in 2024.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by znate80 View Post

Same engine they are sticking in the full size silverados. Should be a beast in the smaller truck. It's pretty amazing what kind of power they are making out of engines, I truly believe we are in a golden age of internal combustion engines.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

Quote Originally Posted by znate80 View Post

Yep and upcoming interior of the Denali is insanely nice!

https://www.cnet.com/a/img/resize/3b...ebp&width=1200

20. Member
    That truck with the turbo 4 banger should be a stump puller.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast