Line/rod power for 90 size Whopper Plopper/Choppo

Is 50# braid and a 7' H too much?

Should I back that down to 30# and 7' MH?

50 is not to much, however if your hvy is a true hvy that may be a bit overkill. 50lb braid and a dobyns 705 cb glass is the sweet spot.(for me) caught many 6-7 lb bass on that and it felt perfect. that rod has more forgiveness than a standard all graphite hvy action. If you stay with your rod I’d recommend to ditch the braid and some use co poly as your line to give you some “give”
    24’Bass Cat Puma Sts-300 Proxs
    23’Gatortrax Gt tunnel hull-200 Suzuki

I don't think 50 lb braid is too much, though lb tests in braid mean very little anyhow...tons of variation between brands. The rod is probably a little overkill, but I think I'm mostly with White Gambler on the action part: If it's got a more moderate/mod-fast action I'm sure it's fine. The biggest thing with rod power and Whopper Ploppers is just casting them comfortably, in my opinion. If it's got a faster action I'd worry about missing and losing fish.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

4. Member
    I throw on a heavy moderate fast with 50 PP and really like it. Zolo dragger as strange as that might seem works well for me. I can cast it farther than I want to on it.

5. Member
    I throw it on a 7’ Medium action and 20lb braid
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

6. Member
    Thank you all. I will try it on both and see which feels right.

7. Member
    To echo Drew, after moving to braid I like a more forgiving rod for trebled topwaters than a hvy. It seems to really help with the short line strikes as well as the surges and jumps near the boat. But he made a good point that’s more specific to the action than the rod rating. I use 30 lb braid on a 7’3” M for open water, and 40 lb with 7’MH for grass that’s not topped out, the same setup as my swimjig, occasionally step up to my 7’H with 50 lb that I use for frogs but tend to miss some close to boat fish, like they are skin hooked and pull free.

I use a Loomis IMX 844 (4-power) rod with 30# Braid and it seems to work out great. Sometimes if I'm not over a bunch of weeds I'll use a 15# mono leader to give the line a little stretch, But 50# should work too.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

9. Member
    I throw ploppers and shower blows on a Powell endurance 755 composite 30lb braid to a 2ft leader of 20lb big game

10. Member
    I throw the 90 on a medium spinning rod, 15 lb braid to leader? No problems setting the hook on a long cast.

11. Member
    Probably been said but a heavy rod should be fine too so long as it's moderate or moderate-fast in taper and loads well when casting, and 50lb braid should be no problem as long as your not fishing ultra clear water or you don't buy into line visibility deterring fish. I use a dobyns 706cb which is a heavy/mod-fast with sufix siege mono.

I use 12 lb. mono myself, works just fine with Plopper type baits and I like the forgiveness of mono over braid as much as I do for cranks.

13. Member
    65 lb braid for all big topwaters.