Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Diagnostic question

What is included in a 'diagnostic' check at most marine service shops?

Do they just plug in and print out a report?
    or
    Are there any mechanical tasks to complete? (ie. remove spark plugs, check timing, ect)

Once started, about how long does it take to complete the 'diagnostic check' ?

Thank you
    Chris
    1999 TR-21
    Optimax 225 Serial Number 0G842489

It depends on what issue you're asking them to diagnose I imagine...

Honora Primum Vel Nullum Omnin Honorem

3. Member
    If no wrenching or part removal is involved, the lone exception being removing the cowl to connect to diagnostic port, I'd expect "it" would simply be reading and printing the run and fault history reports.

FWIW, Optimax timing is PCM controlled.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

4. Member
    ^^^^^^ +1 to both and in some cases depends on the WANT TO of the shop to find a problem, (not much of that anymore just my opinion )
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox579 View Post
    If no wrenching or part removal is involved, the lone exception being removing the cowl to connect to diagnostic port, I'd expect "it" would simply be reading and printing the run and fault history reports.

FWIW, Optimax timing is PCM controlled.

I thought it would be a simple matter to determine what the Check engine light was for.

I think they are taking the higher paying jobs around my simple request. Had to wait 3 weeks for an appointment - and now been sitting there for a week today.

Thanks guys.
    1999 TR-21

6. Member
    should be very simple , id runnnnnnn , like i said above WANT TO
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BassnChris View Post
    Had to wait 3 weeks for an appointment - and now been sitting there for a week today.
    A week to read codes with an appointment??? I hope the shop didn't "assume" you also wanted it repaired.

I'd do as Joe said...as fast as I could.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

8. Member
    The shop tells me that my 1999 Optimax is too old to work with their computers. So they burned 15 minutes of fuel and charged me an hours worth of shop time.
    It seems like they would of said something when I was dropping it off to be connected to the computer to find the reason for the checkenginelight that their computer would not work, eh?

I was in a time crunch so I just grabbed it and ran it home. I am going to call the manager tomorrow and see what griping will get me
    They said that it ran fine.

Any idea where I should start looking since they can't plug into a computer?
    The check engine light was noticed after the replacement of the shift interrupt switch.

1999 TR-21

9. Member
    may have to find a dealer that has older DDT and older chip to read codes , the RHINDA system may also work i am not familiar with it though

10. Member
    Thank you.....I will see if I can find someone.
    1999 TR-21

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Need a shop with the Diacom System or the M.E.D.S. System.

Diacom isn't that expensive... some folks opt to buy their own just to have it.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post

I have added Diacom to my Christmas list
    Thank you Don.
    1999 TR-21

I have added Diacom to my Christmas list
    Thank you Don.
    Good luck !! Theyre all out of stock !!! Maybe by NEXT Christmas, Ho, Ho, Ho !!
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

14. Member
    I thought it would be a simple matter to determine what the Check engine light was for.

I think they are taking the higher paying jobs around my simple request. Had to wait 3 weeks for an appointment - and now been sitting there for a week today.

Thanks guys.
    man if I have to have something done I do not leave my junk anywhere, but that would be rare.
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

Quote Originally Posted by wmitch2 View Post
    Good luck !! Theyre all out of stock !!! Maybe by NEXT Christmas, Ho, Ho, Ho !!
    I looked up the Diacom for Chris’s motor and it let me add it to the cart if I looked at the right one. Diacom 94128 Kit, $579.

The TechMate was out of stock.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob G. View Post
    I looked up the Diacom for Chris’s motor and it let me add it to the cart if I looked at the right one. Diacom 94128 Kit, $579.

The TechMate was out of stock.
    Thank you for verifying that.....that is the one I am planning on getting.
    I thought using a laptop/tablet would work for me better than one of their devices.
    1999 TR-21

I have the Diacom software and cable for my motor and works well for a DIY. I connect my laptop to the motor every time I run it on the muffs and save the parameters, etc.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

18. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Thank you for verifying that.....that is the one I am planning on getting.
    I thought using a laptop/tablet would work for me better than one of their devices.
    Sure is nice to be able to see a list of values (as compared to just 4 items at a time).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

19. Member
    Sure is nice to be able to see a list of values (as compared to just 4 items at a time).
    I have been calling all the shops I can find and none of them seem to have the ability to get information from my engine to help diagnose the check engine light.
    The last place I called said there was not much they could get out of a 1999 Optimax. He did not say he didn't have the equipment...just there was not much of anything he could get out of my engine.

One shop told me they are "not taking any new customers". Another shop said they thought they could figure it out with a diagnostic check for 1.5 hr labor using check list. But that would cost me another $200 on top of the $100 that the first big box shop charged me, and for obvious reasons they would not guarantee that statement.
    That would be half the cost of the Diacom software.

If I understood correctly, 'we' are saying that the diacom software will get the information I need from my '99 OptiMax to assist in resolving my check engine light, right?

I am trying to decide if I just save and buy the software or if I should take it to the shop that claim they can figure out and buy the software later.

My biggest issue is trust. I do not trust lawyers, mechanics and such until they have proven they are trustworthy. I've seen too many people taken advantage of.

It always helps to get referred to someone from a person you already trust.

Thank you
    Last edited by BassnChris; 09-15-2022 at 01:28 PM. Reason: grammar
    1999 TR-21

20. Member

ask on here if they trust him ,or me ,willing to bet you can resolve issue

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast