Sullivan county lake

Anyone have any experience or suggestions for bass. Doing Turtle Creek with a Sullivan back up. Any advice appreciated. Thanks in advance.Joe

2. Member
    Joe, Hopefully we'll see you Thursday. I had a buddy of mine who fished TC Sunday and today and they had a great 2 days. He sent me pics of 4 over 19-21 inches and said they caught about 20-25 each day. All came in the dam area in 6-14 foot. Worms are all they used. PM me or call and I'll hook you up on baits and locations. I'm looking forward to proving TC isn't the dead sea! Looking forward to it .

Used to live down there, crankbaits could be great in spots at tc, as could a c-rig.

That was after all the weeds died, before that it was a killer frog and moss boss lake.

Sullivan can be miss or near miss. Actually it can be pretty decent in the spring, but seems to get tough in the late spring, summer time. I've never fished it in the fall. Just a heads up though. If you head towards the dam from the ramp, give tat that first point a very wide berth. It gets real shallow right there.
    The best way to cheer yourself up is to cheer up someone else.

Double Post

6. Member
    Joe all I can tell you is run away from Turtle Creek! I wish I hadn't listened to my buddies fishing report! I would have stayed in MS or went to Lake Fork in Texas. He had to have poisoned them to catch any bass outta the Dead Sea! You know its really bad when you only catch catfish off a Carolina rig in 15 foot of water off a brush hog and french fry! Fished hard yesterday and all day today. One 3 lb bass and a 25, 12, and 10 lb catfish. I 'll assume the horror stories of the demise of this lake are true after all. Still got 3 days left! Wish i hadn't paid for this Air A&B till Monday! I'd be headed south to Pickwick Lake where I know I could catch em! The power plant mgr was at the shack today and said the closing of the facility(Powerplant) is a real possibility in the next couple of years. Maybe the lake would make a comeback if the water temps fell and grass came back. I found water midlake today at noon over 93 degrees! I ve never seen water that warm in the past. Shame the lake went south!

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gaf11 View Post
    Joe all I can tell you is run away from Turtle Creek! I wish I hadn't listened to my buddies fishing report! I would have stayed in MS or went to Lake Fork in Texas. He had to have poisoned them to catch any bass outta the Dead Sea! You know its really bad when you only catch catfish off a Carolina rig in 15 foot of water off a brush hog and french fry! Fished hard yesterday and all day today. One 3 lb bass and a 25, 12, and 10 lb catfish. I 'll assume the horror stories of the demise of this lake are true after all. Still got 3 days left! Wish i hadn't paid for this Air A&B till Monday! I'd be headed south to Pickwick Lake where I know I could catch em! The power plant mgr was at the shack today and said the closing of the facility(Powerplant) is a real possibility in the next couple of years. Maybe the lake would make a comeback if the water temps fell and grass came back. I found water midlake today at noon over 93 degrees! I ve never seen water that warm in the past. Shame the lake went south!
    Slide over to Mill Creek in Illinois if you want to catch some.

8. Member
    Did you drive from out of state to fish Turtle Creek?

Strip pits can be good down there, too bad they lost minnihaha. But still a lot of them with good fishing.

10. Member
    IndianaBassMan

Yes sir I'm sorry to say I did and made it a 8 hour trip to get there. I worked in Indy back in 1982-1991 and lived on TC at least 2-3 days a week after May. I can't tell you how many 50-80 bass days I had in all those years. I had 4 great spots and one would produce every time. I don't think I ever had less than 20 fish on a trip. My buddy and I used to fish there and just thought we would do a memories trip for 5 days. How bad could it be we asked ourselves! It was pretty dang bad! One bass after 3 days and 3 huge catfish. I watched a guy fish a ledge up by the intake and tore them up for several hours but, by then the "memories" had faded and I just wanted to get back across the MS state line and go fish Pickwick Lake! Dam shame that lake went to crap! We had a local guy tell us that unless there were two or more plumes of smoke coming out of the stacks it would be tough. It was one all 3 days. That was it for me and TC! Guess I forgot how much Indiana fishing sucks after living up there for several years. I was going to quit fishing till I got transferred back to Tennessee before I found TC. Glad it was great in the old days cause it sucks big time any more based on my few days.

gaf11

After you left Indy, something happened at Turtle Creek and all weeds died. (or were killed off) When this happened, the bass fishing died with it. About 6 or 7 years ago, it made a comeback of sorts. While never as good as the 80's and 90's, it wasn't bad at all. But something has happened this year and it has sucked all year long. I been out there 7 days and have caught 5 fish. The good news is one fish was 5.0 lbs. and another was 6.5 lbs. My gut feeling is management over treated the lake with weed killer and killed a bunch of fish. They will never admit that, but it's my guess.

12. Member
    IndianaBassMan

Yes sir I'm sorry to say I did and made it a 8 hour trip to get there. I worked in Indy back in 1982-1991 and lived on TC at least 2-3 days a week after May. I can't tell you how many 50-80 bass days I had in all those years. I had 4 great spots and one would produce every time. I don't think I ever had less than 20 fish on a trip. My buddy and I used to fish there and just thought we would do a memories trip for 5 days. How bad could it be we asked ourselves! It was pretty dang bad! One bass after 3 days and 3 huge catfish. I watched a guy fish a ledge up by the intake and tore them up for several hours but, by then the "memories" had faded and I just wanted to get back across the MS state line and go fish Pickwick Lake! Dam shame that lake went to crap! We had a local guy tell us that unless there were two or more plumes of smoke coming out of the stacks it would be tough. It was one all 3 days. That was it for me and TC! Guess I forgot how much Indiana fishing sucks after living up there for several years. I was going to quit fishing till I got transferred back to Tennessee before I found TC. Glad it was great in the old days cause it sucks big time any more based on my few days.
    Totally understand! Sorry it was so bad for you. It has its days, but most are really tough

13. Member
    Just saw this thread... Sorry for the pointless delayed response. I fished TC about 7-10 times between April and September and it was one of the worst years I could remember. As was suggested above - when they are generating a lot of power it has been pretty good in the past but that defiantly was not the case this year. While the "ledges" are not Kentucky Lake style "ledges" the large numbers of fish are to be found in community holes throughout the main lake. If they're not biting out on the main lake you might as while put her on the trailer and go grab a beer someplace.

When it's good - even on an 80 degree day with high 80 degree water you can catch them anyway you want and wear them out... You don't even have to slow down unless you want to. Middle of the afternoon in July just winding a spinner bait, chatter bait, underpins, lipless crank, Scrounger they don't seem to have much of a preference one way or another when it's good. But I'd say since about 2020 it's been on the slight decline.

14. Member
    .... . Turtle Creek is/was my "home:" lake .. I hate to say it but it has gone severely downhill the last couple of years .. I used to fish it in its heyday back in the 80's too... it was a big bass factory , now its not worth the 45 minute drive .... no grass-no bass.... and Lake Sullivan is horrible as well .. Boggs isnt real bad until the Amish turkey barn runoff hits mid summer , Glendale fishes pretty decent if you can avoid all the timber ... GO SLOW.. .. good luck findng a "good" spot to fish in that area ... I feel your pain ..

15. Member
    I've heard people say you have water with some trees but Glendale is trees with some water.
    "Absence of Evidence does not mean Evidence of Absence."
    - Dr. Carl Sagan

16. Member
    exactly , Glendale is a flooded forest !! i refuse to take my boat in there .... our club has multiple derbys there every year , plus they have one every wednesday evening ...I just sit them out ...