Do I need to change the stock hooks on the new Vixen?

I change out the hooks on some baits (Showerblows for one). Do I need to change out the hooks on this new generation of RI Vixen?

If so, I have been using Mustad Triple Grips 1x strong 2x short. Is there a better option?

I like the Gammy Amart Nano trebs. Super sharp. A bit brittle, but carry some spares and split ring pliers to change them out if neccessary. I use SB's quite a bit for stripers and I like a feathered tail treble. I use Owners in that case.

I don't like EWG/short shank hooks like the 1X short Mustad Triple Grips for topwaters personally, especially walking baits where fish will often swat at them.

Assuming it's got the same hooks as the Kicknocker, I think it probably depends. I've not had "real" issues with them--they're sticky--but they could probably stand to be a little stronger as I have bent them unhooking fish. I think if you winched a good one in on braid you'd probably straighten them too. I'd personally look toward Owner ST-36s as a replacement...that's what I did with the ones I bent on the Kicknocker and they've worked great. The G-Finesse ones Quillback mentions are really good too, I'm just too cheap to use them when I have such good luck with the ST-36.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

4. Member
    Thank you. I will check out those suggestions.

Do you typically stay with the same size or go up a size?

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zero_cool View Post
    Thank you. I will check out those suggestions.

Do you typically stay with the same size or go up a size?
    I use both replacement treble hooks and with the Owner ST-36s you will want to stay with the same size #4 that are on the Vixen, while the G-Finesse Nano trebles run a size smaller so go up to #2 to match the same size as the stock hooks on the Vixen. I prefer the G-Finesse Nano hooks since they are sharper and lighter, but as DrewFlu33 indicated, they are more expensive although I have several hundred in use across all of my JDM hard baits and haven't had any failures or issues with them.

Overall, there is a plethora of JDM options for replacement treble hooks, but these two hook options from the "big" Japanese hook manufacturers are the most cost efficient and easily accessed of all the replacement treble hooks I use for my JDM fishing tackle requirements and will serve you well on your Vixen.

Good luck using your new Vixens and please have a great day!
    2022 Vexus VX20/Mercury 250 Pro XS | 2021 Vexus AVX 1980/Mercury 150 Pro XS | "Overkill is underrated!" - "Då Som Nu För Alltid"