M/K Ulterra over correcting on spotlock

I have a new to me boat with an Ulterra 112# trolling motor and it's on a Lund 1800 Alaskan. With a pretty good breeze, on spotlock, the motor kept over correcting. It would turn to the left to correct, but use a very high thrust, then over shoot the spotlock point and turn right with high thrust. Over and over again. Is there a way to correct that? Thanks, Ron

2. Member
    Turn the offset down to -2

3. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Boat scale
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

4. Member
    OK, So is this on the Link remote? Settings, boat scale, -2?

5. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ShellbackCVA59 View Post
    OK, So is this on the Link remote? Settings, boat scale, -2?
    Good place to start, but your boat may behave better at a different setting
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

6. Member
    Thanks guys. At least I know where to start.

7. Member
    With a stiff breeze, things like the position of the outboard to one side or the other will make it hard to hold the boat in position. Swinging the boat broadside to the wind will push the boat hard and overcome what the motor is trying to do. Wave action can also play a roll especially if the prop is breaking the surface now and then. There are limits to the ability of Spotlock. The boat scale definitely can cause overcompensation for sure, but I find most of the issues I have is in calm waters with boat scale.
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ShellbackCVA59 View Post
    I have a new to me boat with an Ulterra 112# trolling motor and it's on a Lund 1800 Alaskan. With a pretty good breeze, on spotlock, the motor kept over correcting. It would turn to the left to correct, but use a very high thrust, then over shoot the spotlock point and turn right with high thrust. Over and over again. Is there a way to correct that? Thanks, Ron
    Shellback not sure if you got the problem fixed but it sounds as though you have a Gen 1 Ulterra which is the motor without the puck up front that gives the trolling motor a better GPS lock. All the new MinnKota’s have this. I had the Gen 1 and switched to the new model Ulterra and it’s night and day difference. Hope you got it figured out. Glenn

9. Member
    To the best of my knowledge, the motor was bought in 2019. It does have the GPS puck. I bought the boat used, so I don't know if it was set up properly or not. Haven't had it out to see how it responds with the new settings yet. will post when i do.

10. Member
    Get used to it. I have a newer 80 Ulterra on my 17 Alumacraft and it’s very good one day and worthy of a BUI stop the next. I really wanted to like the motor but the spot lock is better than my 2012 Terrova on it’s good days but much worse than the 2012 on its bad days. The Terrova sucked on spotlock but at least it consistently sucked so I knew it’s limitations and how to improve it. The boat scale will definitely help the overshooting and jerky movements but it won’t fix its wandering ways. Minnkota has a bevy of reasons why it doesn’t work such as voltage, poor gps coverage, conditions etc. I don’t have time for their bs. The only “real” ASC in So Cal is horribly backed up so I’ll just get another. My fishing buddy just bought a new xi5 based on my Ulterras performance while fishing with me. Absolutely amazing spotlock. The head doesn’t even turn. Wayyyy quieter and a miser on the batteries.. I’ll miss the auto stow/ deploy but can’t wait to get one. Good luck with yours. The word on the street is it’s 50/50 you get a good one.
    If I looked good in spandex and my boats paint had glitter, I’d fish for bass.
    Luckily the Crappie, Stripers and Tuna don’t seem to care.............. BigBry

11. Member
    The word on who’s street? Yours? I have not seen or heard a word about GPS problems with ipilot except in your posts. Most issues are in setup. JMO Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

12. Member
    Every time I take my boat out I have to change the boat scale from +2 to -2. For some reason my Ultrex wont save this setting to memory.
    2020 VEXUS 1880 Victor Red
    Merc 115 HP Pro XS
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80 I-Link MDI
    Helix 10 MEGA+ MSI
    Helix 9 x 2 MEGA+ MDI
    Live Image FFS
    2021 Aluminum Trailer
    10' Talons w/sandwich brackets

13. Member
    Hate to sound totally stupid, but where do you find this “boat scale”?
    have a 24v Ultrex that overcorrects badly in current.
    thanks!

14. Member
    Hate to sound totally stupid, but where do you find this “boat scale”?
    have a 24v Ultrex that overcorrects badly in current.
    thanks!

If you have iPilot LINK Bluetooth= Scroll down to Systems, select, and then scroll down to Boat Scale, then down to -2.
    Page 71 and 72------i-Pilot Link Owner's Manual (widen.net)

Be careful not to change the setting when exiting or you will be back where you started.
    Double check the setting by going through the menu again.
    I find it easier to turn the hand remote power off instead of exiting so I don't change the setting with the touchy touch screen.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

16. Member
    Every time I take my boat out I have to change the boat scale from +2 to -2. For some reason my Ultrex wont save this setting to memory.

Next time you make a change, try using just the exposed/raised home button rather than the touch screen.

As Wayne mentioned, touchy touch screen.

I would like to see them change it to a two tap/touch input.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBry View Post
    Get used to it. I have a newer 80 Ulterra on my 17 Alumacraft and it’s very good one day and worthy of a BUI stop the next. I really wanted to like the motor but the spot lock is better than my 2012 Terrova on it’s good days but much worse than the 2012 on its bad days. The Terrova sucked on spotlock but at least it consistently sucked so I knew it’s limitations and how to improve it. The boat scale will definitely help the overshooting and jerky movements but it won’t fix its wandering ways. Minnkota has a bevy of reasons why it doesn’t work such as voltage, poor gps coverage, conditions etc. I don’t have time for their bs. The only “real” ASC in So Cal is horribly backed up so I’ll just get another. My fishing buddy just bought a new xi5 based on my Ulterras performance while fishing with me. Absolutely amazing spotlock. The head doesn’t even turn. Wayyyy quieter and a miser on the batteries.. I’ll miss the auto stow/ deploy but can’t wait to get one. Good luck with yours. The word on the street is it’s 50/50 you get a good one.
    Do you have a Heading Sensor installed? Just curious, thks
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow